Stories Written by Sal Polcino

lab2a

Lab/College Services Building is on Track – Exclusive Time Lapse Coverage

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
July 23, 2014
Filed under Top Stories

Construction of the Lab/College Services building continues through the summer as the pouring of the foundation on the north end and the interior walls is progressing. Rebar is being set daily and the lower level walls on the south end are complete. Prep work has begun to form the walls for... (more...)

Banner2

Fireworks at the Rose Bowl – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Sal Polcino, Editor-in-Chief
July 7, 2014
Filed under Top Stories

Americafest 2014 was a huge success, drawing tens of thousands of celebrants to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena for a spectacular Fourth of July pyrotechnics display. Grammy nominated Liverpool Legends, a Beatles tribute band entertained the crowd and a motorcycle stunt show outside the stadium amazed... (more...)

Concealed Carry Would Revive the Old West

Sal Polcino, Editor in Chief
May 14, 2014
Filed under Collegiate News>>Opinion, Editorial>>Opinion

In response to more than 20 deaths in school shootings during this year alone, 19 states have introduced legislation to allow students to carry concealed weapons on college campuses. Along with the NRA and the usual pro-gun enthusiasts, an organization called Students for Concealed Carry has... (more...)

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 8.06.10 PM

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem

Sal Polcino, Editor-in-Chief
March 5, 2014
Filed under Features

Gru and his minions will come alive at Universal Studios this spring with a new ride based on the popular animated films. The new attraction replaces the Terminator ride in the corner above the Frankenstein parking lot. Show producer and project director Jon Corfino donned an orange vest and... (more...)

Hundreds of local residents turn out Sunday to counter a protest by members of the infamous Westboro Baptist church.

Westboro Baptists Encounter Anti-protest in Glendale

Sal Polcino, Editor-in-Chief
January 13, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

The Westboro Baptist church brought its convoluted message to four Glendale churches Sunday morning. Known for protesting gay marriage, abortion and, for some reason, military funerals, Westboro brought eight members of their church to the Jewel City with placards and loud music. Hundreds of... (more...)

Attention Slobs: Your Mother Doesn’t Work Here

Sal Polcino, Editor-in-Chief
October 30, 2013
Filed under Editorial, Opinion

Okay I admit it. I’m still a smoker. One of the last hold-outs, but the campus ban on smoking hasn’t affected me much. Walking out to the sidewalk to feed my disgusting habit doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, I never felt right about smoking in public anyway. I don’t smoke indoors or... (more...)

Vaqueros Conquer Warriors in Season Opener

Sal Polcino, Editor-in-Chief
September 7, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

In a rare afternoon game at Sartoris field, the Vaqueros exploded against El Camino, Compton to win their season opener by a commanding score of 35 – 7. The Vaqs scored four touchdowns in the first half and quickly put up another seven points in the third quarter. It was looking like a shut-out... (more...)

COLD SHOULDER: Trainer Jose Gomez works on left-handed pitcher Gary Aruna.

Athletic Trainers: Unsung Heroes of GCC Sports

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
May 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

Behind every great athlete there is a strong team, and behind every sports organization is a team, not as well known, that keeps those athletes in good health and condition. For Vaquero athletes, that team is Jose Gomez and Claudia Alvarez, the GCC athletic trainers. “Considering the lack... (more...)

WORLD FUSION: Dancers A-Ya Hamano, Melissa Gonzalez and Nami Matsushita took first place at the ISA talent show Thursday along with teammates Chur Hyun Sung and Richard Fober.

International Student Association’s Got Talent

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
May 28, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

Students from all over the globe competed Thursday at the GCC Auditorium in an American Idol-style talent show organized by the International Students Association to raise money for scholarships. ISA President Hyacinthe “Cinthy” DeCuba was the main organizer, but she said she had lots of... (more...)

IMG_3351Sized

L.A. Noir Author Shocks and Awes Audience

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
May 15, 2013
Filed under Features

Los Angeles crime writer James Ellroy entertained students, faculty and fans at the GCC auditorium Thursday in a presentation by the Los Angeles Writers Reading Series. After an introduction by event organizer Claire Phillips, Ellroy’s opening remarks both shocked and delighted the audience... (more...)

Not Every Discarded Box Is a Bomb

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
May 15, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Not long ago a discarded hatbox found at a campus parking lot most likely would have been kicked aside or ignored. Maybe a good citizen would have picked it up and chucked it in the nearest trash receptacle. Today, it sets off warning bells and a chain of events that is mostly over-kill.   Now... (more...)

Vaqueros Clip Eagles on Stengel Field

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Vaqueros clinched its third straight WSCS division championship April 23 and advanced to the upcoming state playoffs by defeating the Los Angeles Mission College Eagles 4-1 at Stengel Field. The team raced onto the field to celebrate after the final out in the top of the ninth inning and... (more...)

boxing

Club Demonstrates ‘Sweet Science’ of Boxing

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Not every popular club begins with a significant moment. The GCC Boxing Club started by happenstance with a conversation between two sports fans. History teacher Victor Nebrida and one of his students, David Archer, found they shared a passion for boxing. Nebrida suggested that Archer form... (more...)

Rajen Vurdien, the current president of Fullerton College, speaks about his platform at the GCC presidential forum.

Presidential Candidates Hold Forum

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under News

Students, faculty and Glendale community members gathered Thursday in the campus auditorium to meet the three remaining candidates vying for the job of president/superintendant of GCC. Rajen Vurdien, the president of Fullerton College, Farley Herzek, the interim president of East Los Angeles... (more...)

baseball1

Vaqueros Win Third Straight Conference Championship

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
April 24, 2013
Filed under Top Stories

The GCC Vaqueros celebrate their third straight conference championship at Stengel Field yesterday after defeating the Los Angeles Mission College Eagles 4-1. Look for the full story and exclusive photos in the May 1 issue of El Vaquero.

Solar Fair Brightens Glendale

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
April 20, 2013
Filed under Features

A few clouds didn’t stop the sun from powering the Solar Faire at San Rafael Plaza on Saturday April 6, where Glendale community members gathered to learn how to harness renewable energy. The Solar Schoolhouse partnered with Glendale Water and Power and the Glendale Unified School District... (more...)

SLIDING IN SAFE: Pinch runner Max Fecske steals third at the game on Saturday.

Vaqueros Tame Wildcats

Sal Polcino, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 8, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

In their second home field win at Stengel Field this week, Vaqueros’ starting pitcher Tei Vanderford quickly established his dominance with three up and three down in the top of the first inning which set the tone as GCC defeated the West Los Angeles Wildcats Saturday afternoon with a 6-1... (more...)

jazz

Basses Are Loaded At Glendale

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under Features

When three student bass players joined GCC’s jazz performance department last year, there were few options for them to showcase their talent. But this semester, with a large increase in participation in the jazz program, two more small combos have been added to accommodate the new additions.... (more...)

twd-s3-soundtrack-cover-325

‘Walking Dead’ Soundtrack Reanimates the Series

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Entertainment

Lean back in a comfortable chair, slap on headphones, close your eyes and dream of zombies. Fans of “The Walking Dead” can relive their favorite moments while listening to songs from the soundtrack, released on March 17, by Universal Music Group and available on CD and digital download. All... (more...)

Glendale Election Results

Sal Polcino
April 3, 2013
Filed under News

Here are the results of Glendale’s election as of Tuesday after the polls closed and all ballots received before that date were counted. In the race for city council, incumbents Laura Friedman and Ara Najarian are the frontrunners and will most likely keep their seats. Despite the rumors... (more...)

Jimi-Hendrix-People-Hell-and-Angels

New Hendrix Music Resurrected

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
March 19, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Although die-hard fans may welcome “People, Hell and Angels” with open arms, this latest posthumous release from legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix, one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century, may represent the scrapings on the bottom of the musical petri dish. The distinct... (more...)

guncopyfinal

No More Gun Shows at Civic Auditorium

Sal Polcino, Staff Reporter
March 19, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Glendale Mayor Frank Quintero cast the deciding vote March 12, at the city council meeting, which passed an ordinance by a 3-2 margin, banning gun sales and possession on city property. The city will terminate its contract with the gun show at the Glendale Civic Auditorium. City Attorney Michael... (more...)

Agnessa-Gun Photo2

Proposed Gun Show Ban Draws Protesters

Sal Polcino, El Vaquero Staff Writer
March 6, 2013
Filed under News

In the wake of the Dec. 14, 2012, massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Conn., Glendale City Council members reacted quickly by voting at their Jan. 22 meeting, to draft a proposal that will ban gun shows held on city-owned property. The proposal, which passed by a 4-1 margin,... (more...)

Homeless Program Seeks Volunteers for Census

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under Features

California’s economy may be on the rise but homelessness is still a major problem throughout the state and the rest of the country. Nationally, 21 out of 10,000 people suffer homelessness, but according to a report by the National Alliance to End Homelessness, America’s homeless population... (more...)

Jazz Bands Swing in Concert

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

GCC jazz ensembles turned in a dazzling performance at the campus auditorium Saturday night before an enthusiastic audience of more than 100 fans, families and friends. The Vocal Jazz Ensemble, led by jazz faculty member Clare Delto, opened the show with its version of “Ain’t That a Kick... (more...)

California Elections Roundup

Sal Polcino, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under News

California voters made some very important decisions on Nov. 6, some of which will have a profound effect on GCC. Proposition 30 which would allocate much needed funds to state colleges. Proposition 32 would have prohibited unions and corporations to deduct money from employee’s paychecks... (more...)

New Thriller by John Sandford a Must-Read

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Here’s a warning to serious fans of the mystery novel: do not open John Sandford’s “Mad River” at bedtime if sleep is on the agenda. Mad River roars along like the rapids, twisting and turning the plot and teeming with action. “Mad River” follows agent Virgil Flowers as he chases... (more...)

Swing States Get the Blues

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Seven of the nine swing states turned blue giving President Barack Obama the electoral votes needed to remain in office for the next four years. The popular vote, however, was too close for comfort. Obama won by a mere 2 percent. So close that if not for the Electoral College system, the election... (more...)

Students Need to Get Out and Vote!

Sal Polcino, Staff Reporter
October 31, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Attention all California college students; there are two really scary events on the horizon: Halloween is tonight and in six days, the general election. Everyone knows that All Hallows Eve is meant to be terrifying, but not everyone is aware of the frightening implications if certain decisions... (more...)

Gentle Giant Soars With Eagles

Sal Polcino, Staff Reporter
October 31, 2012
Filed under Sports

Long before Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach, Andy Reid, led his NFL team to the Super Bowl, he helped the GCC Vaqueros win the 1977 Western Conference Championship. Reid, 54, who was born in Los Angeles and attended John Marshall High School, began his college football career playing on the... (more...)

presdebate

Obama, Romney Clash In Second Debate

Sal Polcino, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 18, 2012
Filed under Top Stories

President Barack Obama and his Republican opponent, Mitt Romney, locked horns for the second time yesterday in a town hall style debate with questions presented by undecided voters. Obama, focused and alert, came out swinging in this, the second of three scheduled presidential debates. Both... (more...)

‘Argo’ Is Argo-ably Best Film of Year

Sal Polcino, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 17, 2012

Argo is a spy-thriller that combines elements of drama, intrigue and comedy. Ben Affleck’s third outing as a director may be his best yet. Affleck, director of critically acclaimed films such as “Gone Baby Gone” (2007), and “The Town” (2010), has taken a declassified file from the... (more...)

Biden Comes Out Ahead in VP Debates

Sal Polcino, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Heading into a four-game series down 0 – 1, Vice President Joe Biden needed to score big to bring the Democrats back into the race. He did just that, dominating the debate against Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis. Unlike Jim Lehrer in the first presidential debate, moderator Martha Raddatz, senior foreign... (more...)

New Parking Policies Affect Students, Guests

Sal Polcino, Staff Writer
September 20, 2012
Filed under News

A young woman, while trying to use the new pay station at the main campus parking lot, threw her hands up in frustration and stormed off to her car. Could this be the shape of things to come? Not according to music major Allen Fuentes, who has been using the new parking system to purchase day-passes... (more...)