Stories Written by Richard Kontas

Exclusive Phanatix Preview: Double Slideshow Coverage

Richard Kontas, El Vaquero Production Manager
April 3, 2014
Filed under Features, Top Stories, Uncategorized

The GCC Dance Department presents “Phanatix” Friday at 8 p.m. in the Sierra Nevada building. The show is directed by Victor Robles and is one night only, admission is free. The production includes “Suicide Forest” choreographed by Alexis Cambon featuring South Korean... (more...)

Dance Performance 2013 – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Richard Kontas
May 28, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

The GCC dance department presents its annual showcase of student dancers and choreographers in Dance Performance 2013. Directed by Dora Krannig and Lynn McMurrey the show features numerous performances, and is currently being held in the Sierra Nevada Theatre. Admission is free. However, the... (more...)

2010 Rose Bowl Fireworks Show – Slideshow Coverage

Richard Kontas, Staff Photographer
July 1, 2012
Filed under Features

The Pasadena Rose Bowl hosted Southern California’s largest fireworks display for the 84th year on Sunday July 4. Approx. 60,000+ in attendance enjoyed the 28 minute event featuring over 3,000 aerial effects at a cost of about $250,000. This year parking and exiting afterwards was much... (more...)

Associated Students of Glendale College Host Welcome Back Barbeque – Slideshow Coverage

Richard Kontas, Staff Photographer
March 1, 2012
Filed under Top Stories

ASGCC put on their annual Welcome Back Barbeque on Feb. 23 attracting a large crowd of students. Kicking off the festivities was ASGCC President Suzanna Sargsyan. Among the many activities featured was a hot dog eating contest.The winner with 8.75 dogs devoured in five minutes was Fire Academy... (more...)

IMG_5804a

Architecture Student Projects Featured in Art Gallery

Richard Kontas, Staff Photographer
March 1, 2012
Filed under Online Exclusive, Top Stories

Architecture professor Paul Chiu presents the annual exhibition of student work from the architecture program. The projects encompass urban commercial design to residential design, and are presented in both 2-D and 3-D. Students whose work is featured are Sevan Barseghian, Erik Lieu, Ronald... (more...)

aaFloat620x300.1

Post Rose Parade Float Viewing

Richard Kontas, Staff Photographer
January 18, 2012
Filed under Features, Top Stories

This years 123rd Rose Parade was followed by the Post Parade Float Viewing event. The Showcase of Floats was open on both the afternoon of the parade, from 1 to 5 p.m. and the following Tuesday Jan. 3 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. there is senior and disabled guest access on Tuesday from 7 to 9 a.m. This... (more...)

aaRedBull620x300

Red Bull. New Years. No Limits. Riders Jump into the Record Book

Richard Kontas, Staff Photographer
January 18, 2012
Filed under Sports

More than a year of intense planning and preparation all boiled down to less than 15 seconds of high (pun intended) drama. For extreme action sports stars Levi LaVallee and Robbie Maddison it was the proverbial moment of truth as they both flew well over 300 feet of water and rocks to land... (more...)

aaBand620x300

Oregon Marching Band Practices at GCC

Richard Kontas, Staff Photographer
January 18, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

The University of Oregon Marching Band (OMB) contracted with Glendale Community College to use Sartoris Field to practice on Dec. 29, 30 and 31. The purpose, to prepare for its appearance at the Rose Bowl, where they performed a pre-game set, the National Anthem and their main performance during... (more...)

Dance Performance 2011

Richard Kontas, Staff Photographer
January 18, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

One of Glendale College’s longest-running events, “Dance Performance (2011)” was held Dec. 9 through 11. It featured choreography and performances by students, alumni and faculty from the dance production and jazz performance skills classes and was directed by Dora Krannig and Lynn McMurrey. The... (more...)

Los Angeles Auto Show

Richard Kontas
January 15, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Featuring 21 World, and 27 North American premiers along with 13 concept cars, the LA Auto Show had something for everyone this year. Filling the los Angeles Convention Center from Nov. 18 to 27, tens of thousands of auto buffs and gear heads made their way through the event.

More than 1,000 protesters took to the streets in downtown LA last Thursday, culminating in sitdown at 4th and Figeroa.

The Occupy the Bridge March on 11/17/11

Richard Kontas
November 22, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories, Uncategorized

More than 1,000 people took to the streets of Downtown Los Angeles Thursday morning to march and demonstrate in protest, highlighting the need for good jobs, taxing the 1%, and rebuilding L.A. The “Occupy the Bridge” event was organized by GoodJobsLA.org, Occupy LA, and the SEIU... (more...)

powersoccer

Power Soccer Teams Return for the 2011 Glendale Invitational

Richard Kontas, El Vaquero Staff Photographer
November 15, 2011
Filed under Sports

GCC hosted the 2011 Glendale Invitational Tournament on Saturday and Sunday at the Verdugo Gym. Teams came from Santa Barbara, Hollister and two teams from Arizona, to compete against the two Glendale teams. Shown above, top photo, Glendale Rough Rider Benny Aviles no. 13, manuevers the ball... (more...)

Biltmore Hotel Walking Tour Slideshow

Richard Kontas
January 26, 2011
Filed under Entertainment

For anyone familiar with downtown Los Angeles and its wealth of incredible architecture, consider getting the “inside story” as provided on the L.A. Conservancy Walking Tours. var uslide_show_id = "56cf3482-e19a-4451-a9cf-6b6b575fa264";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = "";... (more...)

Lady Vaqs Place Second, Men Sixth in SoCal Cross Country Championship

Richard Kontas
November 10, 2010
Filed under Sports

On beautiful day with temps in the 70s the Lady Vaqueros took second place, while the men placed sixth in the Southern California Cross Country Championship Finals held at East Mission Bay Park, San Diego on Nov. 6. On the downside the Glendale womens team which has dominated the SoCal Championships... (more...)

Vaqs Lose Nailbiter at West L.A.

Richard Kontas
October 27, 2010
Filed under Sports

In their second nailbiter in as many weeks the Vaquero football team lost with less than 3 seconds left when West LA came from behind to kick a field goal and take the win 26-24, last Saturday. var uslide_show_id = "d529583d-4c48-4a78-bb9e-fc300bf39389";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext... (more...)

2010 Scholarships and Awards Listing

Richard Kontas
July 8, 2010
Filed under News

In the annual event held at the Castaways Restaurant in Burbank, more than a hundred gathered for the 2010 Scholarships and Awards ceremony, on June 10. The event is sponsored by the Associated Students of Glendale Community College, GCC Scholarship Office and the Glendale College Foundation. For... (more...)

Art Gallery Show

Richard Kontas
July 8, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

Currently running through July 31 in the GCC Art Gallery (in the Library building)is “Doctor Zomb” a multi-media exhibition curated by Spencer Douglas. Featuring work by Meg Cranston, Ali Prosch, Cayetano Ferrer, Scoli Acosta, Amanda Ross-Ho, Gustavo Herrera, Olga Balema, Lia Trinka-Browner,... (more...)

test for pics

Richard Kontas
June 2, 2010
Filed under Features

Scholarships & Awards 2010 Adams, Ercil                                                                      ... (more...)

Track and Field Headed for State Meet Next Weekend

Richard Kontas
May 19, 2010
Filed under Sports

After competing in the Southern California Championship Finals at Saddleback College last Saturday, a host of top men and women qualified for the State Championships Friday and Saturday in Antelope Valley. Samantha Bogatz, a sophomore sprinting sensation, was once again on top of her game... (more...)

Track and Field at Azusa Pacific

Richard Kontas
April 7, 2010
Filed under News

var uslide_show_id = "ed980cb9-b769-432a-81b7-14e92a650851";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = ""; Slideshow Media Credit: Richard Kontas

Motorcycle ICE Racing Comes To Los Angeles

Richard Kontas
January 14, 2010
Filed under Features

So it’s that infamous and much reviled (by the rest of the world) ‘winter in Los Angeles’ (you know, when it rains for three days) and so itching for a motorsports fix if you will, I went carousing the internet for something to do on this particular day.it was a Friday morning... (more...)

Track & Field at Ventura 2/26/10

Richard Kontas
January 14, 2010
Filed under News

var uslide_show_id = "8e2982d4-22c5-4b48-aaca-b103943adcca";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = "";

Student Protest Downtown Los Angeles

Richard Kontas
January 14, 2010
Filed under News

var uslide_show_id = "b1867b3b-b891-4e79-8e26-4981fd200499";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = ""; Slide Show Media Credit: Peter Moyes

Speech & debate 2/20/2010

Richard Kontas
January 14, 2010
Filed under News

var uslide_show_id = "66226680-6bbd-4f0e-be6b-1527de36c9a2";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = "";

Red Bull: New Years. No Limits!!

Richard Kontas
January 14, 2010
Filed under Features

On New Year’s Eve, extreme sports icon Travis Pastrana made history in Long Beach. Performing in front of an estimated 70,000 revelers, the four-time Rally America Champion and nine-time X Games Gold Medalist set a new world record at “Red Bull: New Year. No Limits.” At approximately... (more...)

Victorious Vaqueros!

Richard Kontas
November 11, 2009
Filed under Sports

The Glendale sports teams had one of their best weekends ever. The mens basketball team won the Vaquero Tip-off Tournament on Friday and Saturday. The womens soccer team beat L.A. Valley College 2-1 on Friday night. The football team found themselves back in the win column after defeating Moorpark... (more...)

Power Soccer – Rough Riders!!

Richard Kontas
December 10, 2008
Filed under Sports

var uslide_show_id = "b5d1e74d-b768-45a3-9adb-8bf5d3f7a3af";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = "";

Vaqueros Dominate Santa Monica 90-73.

Richard Kontas
December 10, 2008
Filed under Sports

Saturday night the Vaqueros took Santa Monica to the cleaners, defeating them 90-73. var uslide_show_id = "834fed0d-bc47-4128-8ef9-3dc3d365f72b";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = ""; Vaquero forward Josh Guillory led the offense with 25 points and 10 rebounds, followed by Markus Monroe... (more...)

Going Green With Goats

Richard Kontas
December 10, 2008
Filed under News

Test for slideshow… var uslide_show_id = "ecb4e335-a095-4471-ab10-4128be36b491";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = "";Slideshow media Credit: Rich Kontas

Vaqueros Beat College of the Canyons Jan. 29

Richard Kontas
December 10, 2008
Filed under Sports

In an often close and seesaw battle against College of the Canyons, the Vaqueros maintained their lead to the end buzzer taking a 91-85 win back to the locker room, Jan. 29 at Glendale. var uslide_show_id = "e82e0510-718d-46ad-bf23-999979eceffa";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = ""; Leading... (more...)

X Games Returns to Staples Center

Richard Kontas
August 22, 2008
Filed under Sports

X Games opening night once again delivered the “thrill of victory and the agony of defeat” with thrills, spills and history-making performances. Motocross star Kyle Loza made X Games history by becoming the first ever to win back-to-back gold medals in the Moto X Best Trick competition. This... (more...)

‘Highest Air’ Record on a Motorcycle Set During Red Bull Experiment

Richard Kontas
July 30, 2008
Filed under Sports

Motocross star Ronnie Renner performed “magic” in front of 20,000 fans on July 11 by jumping a record height of 59 feet and 2 inches on a motorcycle quarterpipe, at the world-famous Santa Monica Pier. var uslide_show_id = "2fdecc12-8de4-4d33-acf6-ffd84f607d90";var slideshowwidth... (more...)

82nd Annual Rose Bowl Fireworks Show

Richard Kontas
July 5, 2008
Filed under News

Thousands turned out for the 82nd annual Rose Bowl extravaganza which featured over 2,000 pounds of pyrotechnics and cost $250,000. The show is the largest in the state. var uslide_show_id = "b7e23eef-e16c-4d35-87d8-64d85fa3d37c";var slideshowwidth = "468";var linktext = "";Slideshow Media... (more...)

Alumni Inducted Into Athletic Hall of Fame

Richard Kontas
March 12, 2008
Filed under Sports

The J. Walter Smith Student Center overflowed with pride and a sense of accomplishment Saturday night as the seventh annual induction ceremony of the GCC Athletic Hall of Fame welcomed its newest set of inductees. Three alumni were honored as outstanding athletes with one inductee each in the... (more...)

Vaqueros Win A Classic Nail-Biter!

Richard Kontas
December 12, 2007
Filed under Sports

The Vaqueros got off to an early lead in the first period and seemed to be on their way to a sure fire blow-out. However, Santa Monica came back and tied mid-way through the second period and it came down to a classic nail biter as GCC ties it with 6.8 seconds on the clock and then goes on... (more...)

Enough Is Enough! It’s Time to Boycott Mobil Gasoline

Richard Kontas
December 12, 2007
Filed under Opinion

With gas prices steadily rising, now whenever I need gas I have to stop and do the math. Will I have enough money for food if I fill my tank? I drive a 1994 Toyota four-cylinder and it’s pretty good on gas (between 23 and 28 mpg), but since we’ve been forced to pay more than $3... (more...)

‘Love Ride’ Brings Bikers to Glendale for Charity Run

Richard Kontas
November 14, 2007
Filed under News

Love Ride 24 rolled out of Glendale last Sunday morning, hosting more than 10,000 bikers who gathered at Glendale Harley-Davidson as early as 6 a.m. to register for this year’s ride. Grand Marshall this year was TV celebrity and local gearhead Jay Leno, who also hosted the proceedings... (more...)

X Games 13 Invades LA’s Staples Center

Richard Kontas
July 24, 2007
Filed under Entertainment

The stage was set for both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, as X Games 13 opened Aug. 2, to 17,174 fans at Los Angeles’ Staples Center. Featured events were Moto X Best Trick and Skateboard Big Air Finals. Tasting the thrill of victory at his first X Games appearance, Kyle... (more...)

Reward Now $60,000 in Brittani Idom Murder Case

Richard Kontas
July 24, 2007
Filed under News

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa signed a special emergency motion on Monday, authorizing a $50,000 reward for information leading to the identification, apprehension and conviction of the individuals responsible for the death of 18-year-old Brittani Idom, a Glendale College student. The... (more...)

Cheerleader’s Funeral Saturday

Richard Kontas
July 11, 2007
Filed under News

A funeral will be held Saturday for Brittani Janai Idom, 18, a Glendale College student and cheerleader who was killed in a driveby shooting Friday. The funeral will be at 9 a.m. Saturday at Lake Avenue Congregational Church, 303 N. Lake Ave., Pasadena. Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael... (more...)

Cheer Captain Killed Friday

Richard Kontas
July 9, 2007
Filed under News

Brittani Idom, 18, captain of the Glendale Community College cheer team, was reportedly shot and killed early Friday morning in the Lafayette Square area of Los Angeles. Idom had just completed her freshman year at Glendale, and had planned eventually to transfer to San Diego State University. A... (more...)

Conservative Club’s ‘Sponsor a Flag’ Event Raises Funds for the Troops

Richard Kontas
June 8, 2007
Filed under News

The GCC Conservative Club raised $619 by organizing a “Sponsor a Flag and Support Our Troops” event, held in Plaza Vaquero on May 29 thru 31. People were offered the opportunity to write a letter to the troops or to sponsor a flag. They also accepted donations and sold patriotic... (more...)

Collusion Rocks Plaza Vaquero

Richard Kontas
June 8, 2007
Filed under Entertainment

“Collusion” performed at Plaza Vaquero on Tuesday. The band consists of Xander Snyder (lead guitar), Layla Habahbeh (keyboards), Melanya Torosyan (lead singer), Emin Abdalian (drums), Michael Chitarians (bass), and Meher Vartoomian (guitar). Tha band will also be in concert June... (more...)

New Construction Site: Clock is Ticking!

Richard Kontas
May 18, 2007
Filed under Features

Although there are currently two major construction projects on campus, the Allied Health and Sciences building and the new parking structure with an elevator tower and pedestrian bridge, the big question on everyone’s mind is, “When can we use the parking structure?” Director... (more...)

Vandalism Targets Reserve Books in Library

Richard Kontas
May 4, 2007
Filed under News

Recent vandalism has struck the college library, targeting the reserve books and affecting those students who cannot afford to lose this valuable asset. This selection of assigned textbooks is updated every semester and represents over two-thirds of all textbooks being used on campus at any... (more...)

The Dirty Diamond Rocks the Plaza

Richard Kontas
April 13, 2007
Filed under Features

“The Dirty Diamond” performed at Vaquero Plaza on April 5. They played songs from their self-titled CD. The band consists of Narek Pogosyan (bass) Sam Babayan (vocals/ guitar), Adam S. (guitar/ back up vocals), Mike Schron (drums) and Hiuro (keyboards). You can check out the band... (more...)