Stories Written by Moises Torres

ONline

Theater Arts Stoked the Flames with “Firebugs.”

Moises Torres, Staff Writer
May 14, 2014
Filed under Features, Top Stories

A dramatic manifestation of onstage talent, powerful satire, and climatic scenes glued the audience to their seats as “Firebugs: A Morality Without a Moral” delivered a jolting punch. “Firebugs” was written by Max Frisch and translated by Mordecai Gorelik, written for radio in 1953,... (more...)

Coalition Works to Keep Kids Off Drugs

Moises Torres, Staff Writer
May 14, 2014
Filed under Features

For more than a decade, the Crescenta Valley Alliance has fought to prevent underage drug and alcohol use. Police detective Matt Zakarian and Glendale police officer Joe Allen founded the organization. Its vision is rooted in educating the community about drugs and alcohol and their mission... (more...)

marchonline

Thousands of Protesters March to Turkish Consulate

Moises Torres, Staff Writer
May 1, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

Cries for justice could be heard from miles away, as thousands of protesters filled the streets demanding acknowledgement of the Armenian genocide. Marchers united to protest against the Turkish government for failing to acknowledge the Armenian genocide. However, this year was a little different. This... (more...)

construction

Construction of New Building Picks Up the Pace

Moises Torres, Staff Writer
April 28, 2014
Filed under News

Construction of the College/Lab Services building is almost back on schedule after completing 90 percent of additional work resulting from the previous drainage system and groundwater problems. February through March were busy as workers tried to stabilize conditions. The groundwater that was... (more...)

Mining in Armenia Creates Danger of Toxic Bi-products

Moises Torres, Staff Writer
April 3, 2014
Filed under News

Armenia’s vast landscapes and mountain chains are now under siege as private mining companies deplete the country’s natural resources. According to Suzy Petrosyan, a coordinator for Pan Armenian Environmental Front, Armenia’s ecosystem is rich in natural minerals and precious metals,... (more...)

Global Warming: The Harsh Reality Is Heating Up

Moises Torres, Staff Writer
March 19, 2014
Filed under Features

The dangers of global warming are real, and things are likely to get worse, Geography Professor Michael Reed warned attendees in a lecture Feb. 26. Reed, who came to GCC in July of 2000, talked about the effects that global warming could cause if we didn’t adopt appropriate measures to stop... (more...)

New One-Stop Facility to Open November 2015

Moises Torres, Staff Writer
March 5, 2014
Filed under News

With a career center, a student lounge, open labs with the latest computers, and a new culinary arts kitchen — the new Lab/College Services building will be a one-stop shop. When the new building is completed in 2015, it will house a journalism lab, speech and ESL classes, classrooms, student... (more...)