Stories Written by Lucas Yepez

Hoover Zariani Named ‘Employee of the Year’

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
May 29, 2014
Filed under Features

Last week,May 20, the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges honored GCC’s Hoover Zariani as the California Community College Employee of the Year after he was nominated by the board of trustees. The prize is awarded to classified, or non-faculty, employees who show commitment... (more...)

Comedy Show Raises Funds for Mentor Program

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
May 15, 2014
Filed under Features

The SPARK Committee hosted a Comedy Night fundraiser Thursday in the student center, an event filled with laughter, entertainment and delicious food and drinks. The room, decorated with blue balloons, was full of people who were ready to be amused. SPARK, which stands for Students Providing... (more...)

Latinas in STEM Promote Math and Science

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
May 15, 2014
Filed under Features

Although we live in a society that strives to break away from the traditional roles of men and women, it can still be hard for many to fathom a woman engineer. Jazlyn Carvajal and the Latinas in the STEM Foundation program seek to end these stereotypes one workshop at a time. Representatives... (more...)

Local Skate Park Celebrates 10-Year Anniversary

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
April 29, 2014
Filed under Features

Crowds of people gathered at the Verdugo Skate Park to celebrate its 10-year anniversary on April 12. The event featured skateboarding contests, live music, giveaways and a free day of skating. Kids of all ages rode skateboards and roller-skates. Representatives from LA Derby Dolls, an exclusively... (more...)

‘Spelling Bee’ Delighted Audiences

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
April 23, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Spelling bees are stressful enough, but imagine having to spell words while dancing, singing, and swinging from ropes. Okay, so the actors know the words beforehand, but its still a way to make education fun. “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” is a one-act musical comedy which... (more...)

skateboard

Skateboarders Surf Cement Waves at Verdugo Park

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
April 3, 2014
Filed under Features, Top Stories

It’s a typical day at Verdugo Park. A man exercises while walking his dog, friends are socializing and adults smile while watching their children have fun at the skatepark, but not all adults are there just to watch. While it may be tough for some to ride a skateboard at all, let alone doing... (more...)

‘Paper Trail’ Brings Creative Art to Gallery

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
April 2, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

“Paper Trail,” an exhibition by artist Daniella Woolf, opened on March 15 at the GCC art gallery inside the main entrance to the library. A crowd gathered to admire the artwork while helping themselves to cookies, drinks, and other refreshments provided by the art department. Woolf herself... (more...)

thronesweb

Winter Is Coming as ‘Game of Thrones’ Returns

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
March 19, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

It’s Sunday night. You rush to finish your homework and change the channel quickly. Your heart starts to beat rapidly as you hear epic violins playing in the background while you curl up with popcorn and a blanket. For television fans that can only mean one thing: a new season of “Game... (more...)

battlebots

Engineering Students’ Bots Clash

Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
March 4, 2014
Filed under Features, Top Stories

Though not quite at the level of Real Steel or Wall-E, some of these robots built by students can serve functions in the medical field or even the Mars Rover mission. Mentors guide students as they build their own robots to compete in matches. Many of these students are the engineers of the... (more...)