Stories Written by Kendall Faulkner

Sophomoresonline

Baseball Sophomores Say Goodbye to Vaqueros

Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
May 29, 2014
Filed under Sports

When the Vaqueros baseball season came to an end on April 25, 16 sophomores stepped onto Stengel Field for the last time as Glendale College players. Sophomore catcher Cam Silva said, “We had guys from all sorts of different situations and backgrounds, but when we stepped on that field we... (more...)

hosep

Hosep Orojian Serves His Way To The Top

Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
May 15, 2014
Filed under Sports

For many students, their freshman year of college is critical in determining the direction of their lives. Despite being only in his first year of college, Hosep Orojian is considered GCC’s number one tennis player for the 2014 season, leading his team in singles matches (a game of one-on-one... (more...)

Vaquero Baseball Season Ends Just Short of Playoffs

Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
April 29, 2014
Filed under Sports

As baseball season comes to an end, so do the Vaqueros playoff hopes. The Vaqueros had their last opportunity on Friday to earn a spot to compete for the conference championship — a title they have won for the past three years. Despite the 5-2 win against Los Angeles Valley College, the Vaqueros... (more...)

softball

Lady Vaqueros Drop Two in Double-Header

Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
April 3, 2014
Filed under Sports

Chants resounded at the College of the Canyons softball field as the Lady Vaqs lost to the Cougars in the first game of their doubleheader 10-6 on March 25. Rebecca Hernandez, the leadoff hitter, walked to first base and quickly stole second. The Cougar coach went out on to the field to argue... (more...)

hawk

Softball Team Remembers Coach Hawk

Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
April 1, 2014
Filed under Features, Sports, Top Stories

“Once a Vaquero, always a Vaquero,” is a popular motto among sports teams at Glendale College, but the women’s softball team demonstrates the true meaning and value of that slogan with its David “Hawk” Wilder tournament, as well as with the badges on their uniforms in his memory. The... (more...)

softballweb

Lady Vaquero Softball Delivers Big Victory

Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
March 19, 2014
Filed under Sports

After losing the last two games, the Vaquero softball team took the field on Thursday ready to put a “W” on their record against L.A. Mission College. “Our goal was to come to the field, take care of business and go home,” said first baseman Cassandra Soto. That is exactly what the... (more...)

Vaqs End 10-Day Break with a W Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
March 5, 2014
Filed under Sports

After a 10-day break, the Vaqueros showed up to their Tuesday afternoon game ready to win. “We want to play,” said head coach Chris Cicuto, “we haven’t played in ten days.” That is exactly what Glendale baseball did with a 5-2 win. Vaquero starter Angel Rodriguez pitched six innings.... (more...)

fathersonweb

It’s a Family Affair at GCC Athletics

Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
March 4, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

After 14 years of coaching, GCC’s head baseball coach Chris Cicuto has proved that the apple does not fall far from the tree. Chris Cicuto and athletic director John Cicuto are not only colleagues, but father and son. “Being with my father is a blessing, it’s unique,” said Chris Cicuto.... (more...)