Stories Written by Jonathan Williams

nelsononlinetrack

Vaqueros Track and Field Brings Home the Gold

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
May 29, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Vaqueros track and field teams hit the finish line of a pinnacle season Sunday at the state championships at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut. Elizabeth Nelson passed the best runner in the country in the women’s 1,500-meter and Justice Shank leaped over a 5-foot-8 bar to secure the... (more...)

trackfield

Several Vaqueros Qualify for State Track Final

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
May 15, 2014
Filed under Sports

The postseason is coming to a close for the both track teams as members qualified for the state meet on Friday and Saturday. The Glendale women’s track and field team tied with Cerritos College with 54 points Saturday for fourth place and the men finished 14th at Riverside College. Elizabeth... (more...)

Vaq Shines at Golf Finals

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
May 15, 2014
Filed under Sports

As the sole competitor to qualify for the California Community Colleges Athletic Association men’s golf championship match in Riverside, freshman Evin Davis fell short of capturing the state title. Davis finished sixth in the overall standings, only five shots behind the leader College of... (more...)

golf

Vaqueros End Season With Drive Into Playoffs

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under Sports

A week after a second place finish at the Oakmont WSC, sophomore Vincent Lam and the Vaqueros golf team had one goal in its sights, a spot in the Southern California regional finals. The Vaqueros finished in third in the Western State Conference finals and secured a playoff spot at the Brookside... (more...)

Former Baseball Player Campaigns for New Clubhouse

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under Features

Stengel field needs saving. That’s what Bryan Longpre and his nonprofit foundation set out to accomplish across the street from the Glendale College campus. Signs read, “savestengel.org,” in bold green letters and are speckled across the La Crescenta Valley and the Glendale area. The... (more...)

baseball

The Boys of Summer Win Four in a Row

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
April 1, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

On Saturday afternoon, under the summer sun, the Glendale baseball team did what they haven’t done yet this season: win four in a row. Rainbow umbrellas shaded ballpark fans as there was not a single cloud to blanket the blue sky above. The Vaqs beat the Antelope Valley team by a score of... (more...)

tennis

Tennis Players Call Their Own Shots

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
March 19, 2014
Filed under Sports

With 12 players, six courts and only one official, the Vaqueros’ tennis teams have to referee their own home conference matches. Both the men’s and women’s teams’ players have to call service balls in and out, forehand smashes and volleys using their own judgment. Singles and doubles... (more...)

tennisonline

Vaquero Tennis Takes Conference Title

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
March 18, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The men’s tennis team clinched the Western State Conference title Thursday, winning six out of nine matches over the Pierce College Brahmas. Head coach Bob Mackay nabbed his second conference crown in nine years. “I think the kids really enjoyed the victory today and I got to play everybody,”... (more...)

stengalbanner

A New View from Temporary Bleachers at Stengel Field

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
March 4, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Squeezed into only two rows of seats, many baseball fans brought their own chairs to Stengel Field or stood in the grandstand behind home plate under umbrellas on an unusually warm and sunny February day. Banners along the outfield fences hung in rows of two for few to see with the lack of... (more...)

OnlineStengel

Stengel Field Update Preview

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
February 24, 2014
Filed under Sports, Sports>>Baseball, Uncategorized

Construction began on the new temporary aluminum bleachers at Stengel Field Saturday, that will accommodate baseball fans until this summer. Glendale Unified School District trucks line the driveway outside the stadium. The old bleachers were closed and fenced off by the city last October after... (more...)

Vaqs Take Rams by the Horns – Slideshow Coverage

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
February 10, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The onset of spring highlighted the blades of green grass at Stengel Field when Glendale met Victor Valley College on Saturday. After some smack talk, wild pitches and collisions at home plate, GCC pulled out a 9-8 walk-off win over the Rams. Glendale came out very sluggish and went down 3-1... (more...)

use this piconline

Lady Vaqs Split Opening Tournament

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
February 10, 2014
Filed under Sports

On the weekend of Jan. 30, the Lady Vaqs took the field sporting their white uniforms with a patch, ironed on over their hearts. It read, “Coach Hawk,” for fallen Glendale softball coach Dave “Hawk” Wilder. Coach Wilder was the softball coach at GCC for 13 seasons until his death in... (more...)

FM5A3930

Stanford Band at GCC – Double Slideshow Coverage!

Jonathan Williams, Sports editor
January 7, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Stanford Cardinal sounded from Palo Alto to Glendale on Dec. 30 as the Leland Stanford University Marching Band practiced their unique routines at GCC’s Sartoris Field. The band prepped for the 100th annual Rose Bowl game in Pasadena as they donned their rally gear. Many band members... (more...)

Last BCS Championship a Wild Ride

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
January 6, 2014
Filed under Sports

Jan. 6 2013 will go down in sports history as the last BCS National Championship game. Held at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, the number-one ranked Florida State Seminoles faced the number-two Auburn Tigers. Heisman trophy winner and FSU Quarterback Jameis Winston lead his team over 80 yards with... (more...)

onlinebball

Vaqueros Thunder Past Olympians

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
December 4, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Vaqueros fought their way atop Mount Olympus and the conference in 75-52 rout of San Diego Mesa on Nov. 27. The Olympians arrived late to warm-ups due to the holiday traffic plague sweeping Southern California’s highways the night before Thanksgiving. When Mesa finally arrived, there... (more...)

womenbball

Lady Vaqueros Basketball Shootout

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
December 4, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The sounds of swishes, squeaking sneakers, and screaming coaches resounded through the Vaquero gym Nov. 22 through 24 in the annual Vaquero Shootout. Eight teams participated in the double elimination tournament that included some of the best the conference could offer. The Lady Vaqs looked... (more...)

FM5A1942

Mens’ Basketball Opens with a Wipeout – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
November 21, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Glendale dominated Santa Barbara Thursday night Nov. 14 at home, 105-52, to take the season opener by 53 points, their largest margin of victory in the last two seasons. “They [Santa Barbara] can’t stop us,” said sophomore forward Gor Plavchyan. Plavchyan, who they couldn’t stop, led... (more...)

coach - web

Coach Starts 35th Year With Vaqs

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
November 12, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports>>Basketball, Top Stories

As Brian Beauchemin enters his 35th year coaching Vaqueros Men’s basketball the 2013-2014 season is going to be much different. It’s not the nine new freshmen or a fresh newspaper cutout to join the many that decorate his office. It’s something more. Coach Beauchemin will be inducted... (more...)

football1

Vaqueros Overthrow Monarchs for Third Win in a Row – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
November 6, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

“Give me three claps.” That’s what linebacker Noche Nwofer shouted to his team before the Vaqueros took the field on Saturday afternoon in the tunnel of Sartoris field. Three hours later at around 3 p.m., the Vaqueros added their third win in a row and overthrew the L.A. Valley Monarchs... (more...)

LoveRide_Ezz

Love Ride 30 Raises over $400,000 for USO

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
October 30, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

The Love Ride roared out of Glendale Sunday morning after more than 4,000 people assembled between 6 and 10 a.m. for the ride up to Castaic Lake. Attendees gathered at the Glendale Harley-Davidson dealership on San Fernando Road at Brand Boulevard. Bikers, musicians and celebrities kicked off... (more...)

vbweb

Lady Vaqueros Shoot Down the Corsairs 3-1

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
October 30, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Lady Vaqs moved to 3-3 in the conference as they shot down the Santa Monica Corsairs 3-1 Friday night. Head coach Yvette Ybarra and her team cruised to an early one set 1-0 lead over Santa Monica. Middle blocker Ashlie Valmonte went down with an ankle injury in game two. “It was a shock,... (more...)

SPORTS_MARTINEZ

Cougars Trounced by Tenacious D – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
October 30, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Vaqueros pummeled L.A. Southwest by 45 points, their biggest win this season. Glendale extended its winning streak to two games in a 54-9 rout of the Cougars and to 4-3 overall Saturday afternoon. “When our offense can run and throw and dimensional, then we’ve got a chance for victory,”... (more...)

lizzieweb2

Elizabeth Nelson Runs Like the Wind

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under Sports

She runs cross country for a GCC team that is second in the state and has won the Western State Conference Athlete of the Week award two weeks in a row. Elizabeth “Lizzy” Nelson, 19, sure is ahead of the pack. Nelson stands 5 foot 5, with her blond hair up in ponytail and a ribbon blowing... (more...)

Monet Estrada1

Lady Vaqueros Take One in the Loss Column

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
October 2, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports>>Soccer

The Lady Vaqueros suffered their first loss of the season, 0-3 against Pierce College last Friday at Sartoris Field. GCC came out strong against the Brahmas, however Pierce dominated the ball the first five minutes. A lack of rhythm was apparent in the Lady Vaqueros. The Brahmas out hustled... (more...)

Marquise_Kathy

Vaqueros Football Remain Undefeated at Sartoris Field

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
September 24, 2013
Filed under Campus, Sports, Sports>>Football

GCC football captured its second home win this season against San Diego Mesa on Saturday. The Vaqueros silenced the Olympians 41-6. Quarterback John Murphy threw for over 300 yards on 22-32 with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Running back Marquise McGuire ran for 59 yards and two touchdowns. Wide... (more...)

Monet Estrada

Lady Vaqueros Soccer Dominates Preseason

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
September 20, 2013
Filed under Sports

Women’s soccer cruised to a 3-0 record in the preseason last Friday with a win against Hancock College. GCC opened with a perfectly placed goal in the back corner of the net by Karen Lopez at the 14th minute. “We caught them off guard,” Head Coach Jorge Mena said. GCC headed to the locker... (more...)

KathyVballonline

Lady Vaqs Volleyball has a Hard Road Ahead

Jonathan Williams, Sports Editor
September 18, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports>>Volleyball

A late rally was not enough to push the Lady Vaqs over the Chaffey College Panthers as the GCC women’s volleyball team lost 0-3 at home on Sept. 11. Yvette Ybarra, head coach of the Lady Vaqs said, “we had too many unforced errors and that hurt us.” The Panthers struck first and scored... (more...)