Stories Written by Fidel Cantu

teacheronline

Adjunct Teacher Wins National ‘Shout Out’ Award

Fidel Cantu, Staff Writer
May 27, 2014
Filed under Features, Top Stories

Karen Harmon, an adjunct professor of accounting at GCC, will receive the 2014 “Teacher Shout Out “ award in June. About 6,500 educators have been recognized in all 50 states since the Teacher Shout Out community was created online in 2013. According to Ginger Plexico, vice president of... (more...)

recitalfac

Music Faculty Hits All the Right Notes at Recital

Fidel Cantu, Staff Writer
May 15, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

The Glendale College music department had a large turnout for a faculty recital held at the auditorium on May 1. The crowd was enthralled as performers mingled and interacted with audience members. The introductory piece, “Trio Sonata in G major,” composed by Johann Sebastian Bach, was... (more...)

custodiancover

Custodians put a Bright Shine on Campus

Fidel Cantu, Staff Writer
May 14, 2014
Filed under Features, Top Stories

They are the hardworking custodians – a team made up of a wide range of cultural and professional backgrounds. They clean the offices, the classrooms and blackboards, empty the trash cans, clean the toilets and sweep the footbridge – keeping the campus scenic and attractive for... (more...)

Police Helicopter Lands on Sartoris Field

Fidel Cantu, Staff Writer
March 21, 2014
Filed under News

The noise was thunderous – the window panes in the office started to shake and tiles from the ceiling wanted to fall, and I could hear the reverberation from the helicopter having trouble. That is the way Assistant Football Coach Michael Cole described the noise that he heard when a helicopter... (more...)

donorwallweb

Garfield Thanks Donors With Wall of Tiles

Fidel Cantu, Staff Writer
March 18, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

Alfred Ramirez, dean of administrative services at Garfield campus, welcomed the Board of Trustees Monday afternoon to the unveiling of the new Donor Wall, which honors those who have donated funds to the school. The Donor Wall is located in the patio area of the campus between the new and... (more...)

ManvelWedgeRuben Chong_online

Burritos Beneath the Stars at the Wedge

Fidel Cantu, Staff Writer
March 6, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Until recently, the aptly-named Milky Way Cafe sat beneath the planetarium dark and idle with its doors closed. Now hungry folks will have a new place to grab some a burrito or some potato wedges: The Wedge. After several attempts to keep the Milky Way open on campus, the college has decided... (more...)