Stories Written by Eric Bourse

raid2

‘The Raid 2:Berandal’ Is a Feast for Action Fans

Eric Bourse, Newsroom Manager
April 3, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

British director Gareth Evans’ 2011 Indonesian action film, “The Raid: Redemption,” was a spectacle that awed audiences worldwide with its nonstop bone crunching fights. This year, Evans surpasses his sophomore effort with the super-sized sequel, “The Raid 2: Berandal.” The film picks... (more...)

Fourth Annual Architectural Student Projects Exhibition – Slideshow Coverage

Eric Bourse
February 10, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

The Architectural Design and Digital Drafting program is hosting the fourth annual Architectural Student Projects Exhibition in AT 229. The gallery has relocated to the Advanced Technology building this year after being held in the library’s gallery for its past three showings. “The change... (more...)

deathpenal

Time to Pull the Plug on the Death Penalty

Eric Bourse, Editor-in-Chief
October 31, 2012
Filed under Editorial, Top Stories

Since it was resurrected by Californians in the 1978 election, the death penalty has been nothing but a disaster for the state. Fortunately, on Nov. 6, Californians can fix their mistake by passing Proposition 34, the SAFE California Act, which would execute the death penalty. Capital punishment... (more...)

The Tower of Terror

GCC Meme Winner: Elevator Issues

Eric Bourse, Editor-in-Chief
September 18, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

GCC MEME CONTEST: El Vaquero and GCC Memes, a FaceBook page, partnered for a fun meme contest to start the fall semester. The winner, who wishes to remain annonymous, turned the infamous parking lot elevator into an amusement park attraction. The follow-up submission, by John Ferrara, shares... (more...)

aaIMG_3021banner crop

Vaqueros Win Awards at State Finals – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
May 23, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Cecilia Nicolas became the 3,000-meter steeplechase California champion at the California State Championships at Cerritos College on Saturday. Teammate Angela Martinez took third place. [Show picture list] Slideshows require the Flash Player and a browser... (more...)

zamudio2

Zamudio Wins 10,000-Meter Track Event

Eric Bourse, Staff Writer
May 8, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Grace Zamudio became the 10,000-meter Southern California champion at the Southern California Preliminaries at San Diego Mesa College on Saturday. Teammate Nohemi Martinez took third place. “I wasn’t expecting to win the 10,000-meter race,” said Zamudio, 18. “I was hoping to improve... (more...)

avengeweb

‘Avengers’ is Thor-oughly Enjoyable

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
May 8, 2012

Ever since the release of “Iron Man” (2008), “The Avengers” (2012) has had an enormous amount of hype on its shoulders. Four years later, the Avengers has finally assembled in spectacular and immensely entertaining fashion. The film is written and directed by Joss Whedon (“Serenity,”... (more...)

‘Avengers’ Director Reveals Production Insight

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 30, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Online Exclusive

Joss Whedon, director of “The Avengers” (2012), revealed insight on how he wrote and made the superhero epic in a college press conference on April 16. Whedon said he had to come up with the set pieces and action sequences before he finished the script due to a tight schedule. “It was... (more...)

Student Journalists Compete Against Universities, Win

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 24, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

El Vaquero and the Insider garnered 12 awards at the California College Media Association awards banquet held at CSU Fullerton on Saturday. Top honors included first place awards for best color advertisement by Jessica Bourse and best features photography by Shaun Kelly. El Vaquero earned third... (more...)

‘Cabin in the Woods’ Fever Is Contagious

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 24, 2012

Longtime collaborators Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon have taken the exhausted horror premise of five college students going out to party in a cabin in the woods and turned it on its head many times over. Goddard, known for producing and writing popular shows such as “Lost” and “Alias,”... (more...)

‘Raid’ Offers Escapist Violence, Good Editing

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 4, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Welsh director Gareth Evans’ first attempt at an Indonesian martial arts film, “Merantau,” received a modest reception back in 2009 for its frenetic action and use of the martial art known as Silat. “The Raid: Redemption,” written and directed by Evans, tops his rookie effort tenfold. The... (more...)

Track and Field Teams Crash and Burn at Bakersfield College

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Vaqueros sat in the bus — most looked impatient while others looked drowsy, in-between naps. Sweat beads began to trickle down their faces as the sun began to heat up the crowded bus. For more than half an hour, Glendale’s running teams were stuck in a traffic jam on the I-5 North headed... (more...)

Track and Field Team Finishes Second at Moorpark College

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
March 13, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Vaqueros proved to be resilient on Friday despite hot weather, high winds, injuries and tough competition at the WSC South Meet at Moorpark College. The Lady Vaqueros came in second place with 102 points while West LA took first place with 149 points. Moorpark took third with 95 points. “The... (more...)

silenthouse

“Silent House” Makes Audiences Scream

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
March 13, 2012

Audiences loudly demanding another horror film in 2012 no longer need to wait. “Silent House” has arrived. “Silent House” is directed by husband and wife-duo Chris Kentis and Laura Lau (“Open Water,” 2003). The screenplay was written by Lau and based on the... (more...)

wanderlust-movie-image-600x395

‘Wanderlust’ Features Naked Seniors, Humor

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Entertainment Editor
March 1, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Audience members who wander into the theater looking for a comedy to watch, need to look no further than “Wanderlust.” “Wanderlust” is a comedy directed by David Wain (“Role Models,” 2008). Wain co-wrote the screenplay with his longtime collaborator Ken Marino (also “Role Models”). The... (more...)

Scholar’s Program Gives Transfer Students Edge

March 1, 2012
Filed under Features

Maintaining a high GPA can pay off greatly for students interested in transferring with the Scholar’s Program. The program, offered by ASGCC and run by Dana Marterella, offers enlisted students priority consideration when applying to transfer to UCs such as UCLA, UC Riverside, UC San Diego,... (more...)

A Guide To Holiday Joy: How to Help the Less Fortunate

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
December 6, 2011
Filed under Features

It’s that special time of year, the long lines at the mall, the clanging of cash registers and the loud clamoring of shoppers looking for the best deals on those last minute gifts. In the consumer rush that is known as holiday season, it can be easy to forget that it’s also the season for... (more...)

© 2011 War of the Gods, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.

Greek Myth Lives On in ‘Immortals’

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 22, 2011

Fans of Greek mythology who are still reeling from the pain from last year’s snooze fest, “Clash of the Titans,” shouldn’t avoid this year’s visually stunning but flawed fall blockbuster, “Immortals.” “Immortals” is directed by Tarsem Singh (“The Fall,” 2006). The screenplay... (more...)

‘Rum Diary’ Leaves Audiences Sober

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 15, 2011
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

In spite of its title, most audience members of “The Rum Diary” will turn to caffeine as their drug of choice after two mediocre hours of liquor-drenched antics of alcoholic journalists. The movie is directed by Bruce Robinson (“Jennifer Eight,” 1992) who also wrote the screenplay,... (more...)

rosaselvemartinez

Rain Can’t Stop Lady Vaqs, New SoCal Champs

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 15, 2011
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Lady Vaqueros were unfazed by frosty winds and pouring rain as the team won first place in the Southern California Cross Country Championships at Guasti Regional Park in Ontario on Friday. The Lady Vaqs came in first place with 27 points, while Orange Coast took second with 100 points and... (more...)

‘Occupy’ Movement Comes to Campus

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 27, 2011
Filed under News

After 33 days and more than 900 cities, the Occupy movement has now spread to GCC. On Thursday, more than 40 students and faculty members flowed into CR137 to attend the first meeting of Occupy LA at GCC and to show their support and solidarity for the ongoing worldwide protests. Student Sarah... (more...)

Cross Country Tops WSC Competition

Eric Bourse, Staff Writer
October 11, 2011
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Lady Vaqueros took first place in the Western State Conference cross country preview meet Friday at Leadbetter Beach in Santa Barbara. The men’s team took second place and Glendale’s Mizrael Mendez finished first. The Lady Vaqs came in first place with 22 points, while Moorpark took... (more...)

IMG_6376vaq

A-Mazing ‘Horror Nights’ for Holiday

Eric Bourse, staff reporter
October 11, 2011

It’s that special time of year — weeping ghosts, flesh-eating zombies and serial killer clowns — Halloween must be near. Halloween Horror Nights is currently underway at Universal Studios Hollywood and this year’s event is bigger than ever. “Eli Roth’s Hostel: Hunting Season”... (more...)

Photo Story Edit

Lady Vaqueros Leave Competition in the Dust

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
September 29, 2011
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Lady Vaqueros turned up the heat on a cold and windy Friday during the Golden West Invitational at Central Park in Huntington Beach. The men’s team took second place. The Lady Vaqs came in first place with 18 points, while Mt. Sac took second with 81 points and Moorpark took third with... (more...)

‘Drive’ Offers a Smooth Cinematic Ride

Eric Bourse, El Vaquero Staff Writer
September 29, 2011
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Despite having a handsome lead star, fast cars, menacing villains and a beautiful damsel in distress, “Drive” is nothing like your standard action-thriller. Thank goodness for that. “Drive”  is directed by Danish filmmaker, Nicolas Winding Refn, whose work includes the existential... (more...)

Lady Vaqueros Cross Country Dominate Fresno Invitational

Eric Bourse, staff reporter
September 14, 2011
Filed under Sports

On Saturday, the Lady Vaqueros dominated the competition to win first place at the Fresno Invitational while the men’s team took second place. Six Lady Vaqs filled the top 10 in the 3.1 mile race in Woodward Park. Karen Rosas finished first overall with a time of 18:33. Alyssa Seleve came... (more...)

‘Gateways to Glendale’ Puts Campus on T.V.

Eric Bourse, staff reporter
September 14, 2011
Filed under Features

For the past 11 years, Glendale College has provided members of the community with an engaging way to learn about events and affairs on the campus without ever having to leave home. “Gateways to Glendale College” is a public television program, produced by Scott Stalnaker, which airs on... (more...)

The A-Team Gets a Solid Grade

Eric Bourse
July 8, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

In 1983, the TV series, “The A-Team,” premiered and lasted for five seasons. Despite its short run, the show has become an 80s icon and t-shirts featuring catch phrases from the show, such as “I pity the fool” are still popular to this day. Fast-forward to 2010, director... (more...)

King Kong Gets A (360/3D) Hollywood Makeover

Eric Bourse
July 8, 2010
Filed under Features

The opening for the latest attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood on June 29 was packed with celebrities on the red carpet, Bengal tigers, snakes and tribal music dancers. However, only one thing was on everyone’s mind. “Kong is back.” As the tram slowly made its trek... (more...)

Summer Activites Keep Students Local

Eric Bourse
June 2, 2010
Filed under Features

If someone wanted to ask what is there to do in Glendale, the most likely response would be, “the Americana at Brand.” However, that isn’t all there is here. Here is a list of summer activities for GCC students who are tight on money or for those who want to spend a nice afternoon... (more...)

Campus Census Provides Startling New Statistics

Eric Bourse
June 2, 2010
Filed under News

GCC serves more students than the state funds according to the 2009 Campus Profile. The college went from 547 unfunded full-time equivalent students (FTES) in 2007-2008 to 2,347 in 2008-2009. “The budget will be negative next year,” said Associate Dean of Institutional Research... (more...)

Tax Evader Hits the Big Screen – Again

Eric Bourse
May 19, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

From the classic 1973 animated movie by Disney to the Mel Brook’s 1993 comedy, “Robin Hood: Men in Tights,” audiences will go into Ridley Scott’s (“Body of Lies,” 2008) 2010 version of the classic story thinking they know what to expect. They are in for... (more...)

John Ford’s Classic Screens During Friday Flix

Eric Bourse
May 19, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

John Ford’s classic “The Searchers” dazzled audiences in 1956 with its cinematography and anti-hero performance by John Wayne (“The Shootist,” 1976) and, although it was initially overlooked by critics, it is now considered one of the greatest Westerns. On Friday,... (more...)

Workshop Helps Students Prepare for Health Career

Eric Bourse
May 5, 2010
Filed under Features

Medical students hope one day to help patients by using three principles: to prevent, to treat and to educate. However, even those who plan on helping others need help and guidance of their own. Francisco Castillo, coordinator at the Health Professions Advising Office at Cal State University... (more...)

Jackie Earle Haley Can’t Save This New ‘Nightmare’

Eric Bourse
May 5, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

Wes Craven’s 1984 film “A Nightmare on Elm Street” is considered a classic by horror fans. The movie revived the stale slasher genre in the 1980s by featuring a psychopath wearing gloves with five long steel blades, played by the eccentric Robert Englund, who could enter teenagers’... (more...)

Moretz ‘Kicks Ass’ as Superheroine Hit Girl

Eric Bourse
April 21, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

There are two types of people in this world: those who find “Kick-Ass” to be a morally reprehensible and revolting film, and those who find the film to be one of the best comic book adaptations in movie history. The latest super hero film, “Kick-Ass” is directed by Matthew... (more...)

Cougars Maul the Lady Vaqueros

Eric Bourse
April 21, 2010
Filed under Sports

The Lady Vaqueros were listless after an 18-1 loss to College of the Canyons on Thursday at the Glendale Sports Complex. ? The College of the Canyons jumped to a 6-0 lead in the top of the second inning. Vaquero freshman pitcher Jennifer Meza was replaced at the start of the third inning with... (more...)

Winning Tips for Job Interviews

Eric Bourse
April 7, 2010
Filed under Features

Many students think that a job interview is the first step toward getting a job. However, it is one of the last. The Career Center, found on the second floor of the San Rafael building, held a “Successful Interview Strategies” workshop on March 25 from 2 to 3 p.m. The two students... (more...)

‘Titans’ Offers CGI and Nothing More

Eric Bourse
April 7, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

Zeus, played by Liam Neeson (“Taken,” 2008) and his fellow Olympians have a problem. In the kingdom of Argos, the people decide to rebel against the gods because they feel they have been mistreated. Without the people’s worship, the gods begin to lose power. However, the... (more...)

Lady Vaqs Can’t Overthrow the Monarchs

Eric Bourse
March 24, 2010
Filed under Sports

The Lady Vaqueros couldn’t stand the heat from the sun or from the LA Valley Monarchs as they lost both games of their doubleheader at the Glendale Sports Complex on March 16. The Monarchs put the heat on Glendale early in the first game to take a 5-2 lead. However, Glendale gave it one... (more...)

This ‘Repossession Mambo’ Isn’t for Everyone

Eric Bourse
March 24, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

In the not-so-distant future, people can receive artificial organs provided by a corporation called “The Union.” However, failure to make payments on time will result in repossession of the artificial organs, called “artiforgs,” without any regard for the customer’s... (more...)

Staying Healthy on Spring Break

Eric Bourse
March 10, 2010
Filed under Features

Many students across campus are already planning out their spring break, but few may actually be preparing themselves to stay healthy. Although cases of swine flu have been decreasing, “the majority of the influenza viruses identified so far continue to be 2009 H1N1 influenza, ”... (more...)

Lady Vaqueros Beat Renegades in Softball Melee

Eric Bourse
March 10, 2010
Filed under Sports

The sun warmed up the field to an ideal 64 degrees. That was until the icy cold winds gave both teams and the fans at the Glendale Sports Complex the chills for the duration of the 2 1/2-hour game. Despite the cold weather, the Lady Vaqueros and the Renegades were involved in a heated slugfest.... (more...)