Stories Written by Alexandra Duncan

freddiestalnaker

The Man Behind ‘Gateways to Glendale College’

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
May 29, 2014
Filed under Features

The amber eyes flecked with obsidian and ochre gazed intently into the camera lens aimed at students swaying and swirling to a catchy beat. No one seemed to notice the man dressed in crisp blue denim, a black T-shirt, with salt and pepper hair peeking beneath a black baseball cap. His eyes... (more...)

onlineISA

International Students Showcase Talents

Alexandra Duncan, Arts Editor
May 14, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

Arms swirled gracefully through the air beneath the beating sun and liquid movements flowed through each of the dancers’ bodies as they performed at Plaza Vaquero. Tibor Fober and Yani Santos danced Brazilian and hip-hop-style and with two other entrants sang in their unique styles Thursday,... (more...)

Plight of Bees Affects Food Supply

Alexandra Duncan, Features Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under Features

Bees are hardly ever thought of as anything other than an annoying buzzing in one’s ear However, these little striped insects are, in fact, humanity’s salvation. The 2009 documentary, “Vanishing of the Bees,” gave viewers a terrifying glimpse at the dark reality the world will face... (more...)

Professor Teaches During Violent Protests in Chile

Alexandra Duncan, Features Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under Features

Billowing clouds of tear gas encircled the school as Professor Deborah Robiglio continued her lecture despite the chaos of students boycotting for better education last year in Chile. Robiglio, a non-credit ESL professor at GCC shared her perspective as a teacher in Chile during her lecture... (more...)

noah

Crowe Knocks it Out of the Ark

Alexandra Duncan, Features Editor
April 1, 2014

Darren Aronofsky’s “Noah” showcases some very extreme alterations that bring to mind an apocalyptic action film rather than a story from the Bible. Aronofsky, award-winning director of “Black Swan” (2010) and “The Wrestler” (2008), took it upon himself to fill in the blanks of... (more...)

nonstopweb

Non-Stop Hits Some Turbulence

Alexandra Duncan, Features Editor
March 19, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for flying Bristish Airways, flight 10. Please fasten your seatbelts and prepare yourselves for our featured movie, “Non-Stop,” with almost two full hours of a very paranoid Liam Neeson, some typical action movie one-liners and an illogical ending with a... (more...)

onlinewritersweb

L.A. Writers Series: Writer Experiments with Social Media Format

Alexandra Duncan, Features Editor
March 18, 2014

He strode past the patiently waiting students, two cans of coconut water and a bag of kettle chips in one hand — a weathered, brown copy of his latest work safely cradled in the other. Stark white cracks in the worn brown cover — much like the short, white strands specked through his brown... (more...)

Casting ‘Firebugs’ for New Play

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
March 5, 2014
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Auditions for, “The Firebugs” had few, but promising actors present. Only four students showed up to the first round of auditions and five for the second round. The play was written for radio in 1953 by Swiss playwright and novelist Max Frisch, but was later adapted for television and the... (more...)

Holiday Film Previews

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
December 9, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

Now that everyone has had their fill of turkey and pumpkin pie, it’s time to leap into the Christmas season. Here are some promising films to see during the holiday season. Opening December 6 “Out of the Furnace” directed by Scott Cooper and starring Christian Bale as Russell. Russell’s... (more...)

IMG

Play Review: “A Flea in Her Ear” – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
November 26, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

On opening night of “A Flea in Her Ear” there was an authenticity amidst the low lighting, the idle chatter and “Fly Me to the Moon” playing in the background that created a jazzy ambience in the mainstage auditorium. Multicolored lights cast geometric shadows on the royal purple curtains... (more...)

Flea in her ear banner

A Flea in Her Ear Charms Audience – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
November 12, 2013

iOS 7 Irritates iPhone Users with Buggy Performance

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
October 17, 2013
Filed under Opinion

The latest iPhone operating system has Apple customers going bananas. This bubbly, bright and colorful update, iOS 7, has left users confused, annoyed and even angry. While some are fearful of updating their phones from the current system, others are impartial to it. The minimalist icons and... (more...)

G

Cuarón’s ‘Gravity’ Defies Expectations

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
October 15, 2013

“Gravity,” the sci-fi thriller directed by Alfonso Cuarón, is visually stunning. Cuarón not only delivers a truly realistic (from what we can tell) experience from an astronaut’s point of view, but he also delivers an inspiring plot line with substance. The script was co-written by... (more...)

LabBldgBanner

Local and State Bonds Will Fund Construction

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
October 15, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Construction for the new Lab/College Services Building has begun but the official groundbreaking ceremony will be held on Oct. 21 at 4 p.m. at the construction site below the parking structure. The plan for the building was originally developed in 2004 under President John Davitt, who retired... (more...)

Audition

Auditions Held for Fall Production ‘A Flea in Her Ear’

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
September 20, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

About 30 hopeful theater arts students and other aspiring actors auditioned on Sept. 4 and 5 for the first play of the semester, “A Flea in Her Ear,”  GCC’s fall mainstage production, which will be presented at the main auditorium in November. “A Flea in Her Ear” is a new version... (more...)

Observatory

Dreaming Big and Flying High at GCC

Alexandra Duncan, Staff Writer
September 18, 2013
Filed under Features

The little Cessna 172 slowly crept up to the runway at Whiteman Airport on a hazy Sunday as GCC flying instructor Edwin Sahakian checked off the long list of procedures that guaranteed a safe flight before takeoff. “Autopilot off. Brakes all clear. Master control on. Flaps are off. Transponder... (more...)