Stories Written by Agnessa Kasumyan

Sincerely, Aggie: Don’t Judge a College by Its Cost

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
May 29, 2014
Filed under Opinion

If someone told my 12-year-old self that I would be at a community college rather than at Oxford University penning the next greatest book series since Harry Potter, I would have most likely responded with a catty “that is never going to happen” eye-roll and avoided that individual out... (more...)

droughtonline

Drought Plagues California and Basin States

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
May 27, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

With sprinklers showering elaborate landscapes and water flowing endlessly as the average person leaves the faucet running while brushing their teeth, most Californians do not worry about where their water supply comes from. In January, Gov. Jerry Brown declared a drought state of emergency... (more...)

Sincerely, Aggie: It’s the Same Old Story, Monica

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
May 15, 2014
Filed under Opinion

As a child of the ’90s, I cannot even begin to remember when I first learned of the Monica Lewinsky-Bill Clinton scandal. As unfortunate as this is, it would be like trying to remember when I first learned to walk or talk. That’s just how explosive the scandal was and continues to be (albeit... (more...)

Sincerely, Aggie: Bill Protects Student Data

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under Opinion

Being a fairly private person with journalistic career aspirations, I generally keep personal or opinionated posts on social media sites to a minimum. My accounts are primarily used to network, share news stories, and spam my friends’ news feeds with photos of my adorable, twinkly-eyed niece.... (more...)

Sincerely, Aggie: Kessab Armenians Under Attack

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under Opinion

As a child, I always dreaded the month of April, for it symbolized fear and the death of my ancestors and fellow Armenians. As March came to a close, my stomach suffered deep pangs of anxiety while my nights were haunted by thoughts of murder and separation from my family. While watching news... (more...)

Sincerely, Aggie: Pigeonholing Journalists

Agnessa Kasumyan, News Editor
March 19, 2014
Filed under Opinion

Back in high school, when I was even more of a cub reporter than I am now, I could not understand why more people did not want to be journalists. For me, there was nothing quite like getting to hear people from all walks of life share their stories or sitting down to write an article after... (more...)

Ask Aggie: Feminism and the Modern Woman

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
March 5, 2014
Filed under Opinion

When my male friend casually dismissed feminism as an ideal only “ugly” and insecure girls buy into, I was disturbed at the ignorance of the statement yet not entirely surprised. What I found particularly disheartening, however, was the fact that many of my female friends viewed feminism... (more...)

State Headed for Water Shortages and Restrictions

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
December 9, 2013
Filed under News

With water flowing freely through the taps for continuous disposal, it is difficult to imagine the life-sustaining fluid as anything but an unlimited resource. However, as the state’s key water sources dry up, the reality of water being a limited resource is becoming all too real. On Nov.... (more...)

aFM5A2128

Aliens Invade Campus with Cameras and Crew

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
December 4, 2013
Filed under Top Stories

Campus life seemed a little alien on Nov. 23 as nearly 100 cast and crew members prepared to film an episode of “The Neighbors,” an ABC television series about a family who moves to a gated community only to discover that it is inhabited by beings from another planet. SB 243 was transformed... (more...)

healthweb

Senator Liu Co-Sponsors Health Festival

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
November 12, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The Civic Auditorium’s doors were opened to hundreds of community members seeking free medical services during the fourth annual Glendale Health Festival on Nov. 2. Hosted by the Armenian American Medical Society, the event was also sponsored by state Sen. Carol Liu, the Los Angeles County... (more...)

coleweb

Emmy-Award Winning Producer to Speak at GCC

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
October 30, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The art of storytelling has captivated audiences for centuries. Cole Kazdin, a three-time Emmy-award winning television news producer, writer and director, will speak on Nov. 7 in Kreider Hall. Currently a producer for ABC News, Kazdin has worked on news and feature stories for “20/20,”... (more...)

5star

New Theater Changes the Movie-Going Experience

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
October 17, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

With the Americana, Bloomingdales, and the newly renovated Galleria lining the streets of Glendale, it is difficult not to notice that the city is developing into an increasingly metropolitan and urbanized area. MGN Five Star Cinema, which replaced the Mann 10 Theater complex on Maryland, is... (more...)

STEM Classes Will Now Address Climate Change

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
October 17, 2013
Filed under News

With the alarming effects of climate change becoming more and more apparent, instructors are aiming to learn how to better explain the science behind the planet’s long-term changes in weather patterns and the effects these changes will have on both nature and society. This semester, geography... (more...)

Viar_KathyOnLine

Viar Brings Wealth of Experience to GCC

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
September 20, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

With the new semester in progress, Glendale Community College is becoming acquainted with its first potentially long-term superintendent/president since 2011. David Viar, formerly president of American River College in Sacramento, was selected for the position and took office in July. As president,... (more...)

HoffmanOnline

GCC Educator Runs for State Assembly

Agnessa Kasumyan, Managing Editor
September 18, 2013
Filed under Collegiate News>>California, Collegiate News>>Features, Features

While most of us struggle to get back into student mode and survive the first few weeks of school, GCC’s American State and Local Government instructor Andra (Verstraete) Hoffman (D) is running for California State Assembly in the 45th district. Hoffman has a long history with the school,... (more...)

Promotional poster taken by Sony Pictures

City of Bones Doesn’t Dig it’s own Grave

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
August 23, 2013
Filed under Features

When movies like Twilight grace global box offices with overflowing piles of green and make cinema history, it’s no wonder critics are left widely disturbed and cringe at anything remotely related to teenage love triangles and creatures that should normally go bump in the right rather than... (more...)

Collins answers questions from the audience

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones at the Americana at Brand

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
August 19, 2013
Filed under Features

The ever commercializing city of Glendale played host to cast members of the Mortal Instruments: City of Bones series as fans lined the streets of the Americana on Tuesday to meet author Cassandra Clare, director Harold Zwart, and cast members Lily Collins (Clary Fray), Jamie Campbell Bower... (more...)

nicaragua2

Club Combats Parasites in Nicaragua

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
May 21, 2013
Filed under Features

While boarding the plane in Houston, president of GCC’s Global Medical Training club Garen Koocharian knew that the next thing he was probably going to see were dirt roads. During spring break, GMT visited Nicaragua to help doctors treat patients in towns where medical aid is limited, traveling... (more...)

Carlos Montes and Tammy Blacklightning speak to students in Kreider Hall on April 4 about the continuing fight for equality in the US.

Social Justice Panel at GCC

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
April 19, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

Despite the advances made in social issues such as racism, sexism and environmentalism—the fight is far from over for many. To inform students about social justice struggles both in the past and present, ethnic studies instructor Fabiola Torres and sociology professor Richard Kamei invited... (more...)

AZTEC DANCERS: Celebrating civil rights and Mexican culture, the 12th annual Cesar Chavez event at the Pacific Community Center raised awareness of labor relations

Cesar Chavez Event Celebrates Labor Diversity

Agnessa Kasumyan, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

In 1962, former farm worker and labor leader Cesar Chavez founded the National Farm Workers Association, now called the United Farm Workers of America, in support of labor rights for field workers. Half a century later, Americans are still celebrating his contributions to the labor force. Glendale... (more...)

The Armenian Community Needs Focus

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under Opinion

For nearly a century, Armenian people have struggled for the affirmation of the 1915 genocide carried out by the Ottoman Empire. The stories and accounts that have been passed along by victims and witnesses are crude enough to make anyone cringe; however, the time has come to redirect the... (more...)

Feminist Ideals Unfairly Misunderstood

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Reporter
March 19, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Tell people you support equality for women and they just might hear you out. Tell them you’re a feminist and suddenly you’re a ball-busting, bra-burning, baby killer with a deep-rooted hatred for men. A common misconception today is that the ideals of feminism are wrapped in misandry and... (more...)

Journalism Today

March 7, 2013
Filed under Opinion

There are several words in the English language that you can’t say without expecting to see scandalized faces or multiple eye rolls. Sadly, “journalist” or “journalism” are prominently among them. Telling people you’re a reporter can exude the same response you would expect if you... (more...)

Holiday Movie Favorites Bear Repeating

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Features

Finally, the season to watch Christmas movies with warm sweaters, hot chocolate and holiday cookies is here. Although not everyone is a fan of sappy films about finding love or good cheer, holiday movies have the ability to warm the icicles around even the bitterest person’s cynically entombed... (more...)

Politicians Need to Addresss Global Warming

Agnessa Kasumyan, Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under Opinion

In the horserace that has been dubbed “The Presidential Election,” both Republican candidate Mitt Romney and incumbent Barack Obama made promises to improve the economy, yet did not address the one issue that will prove grossly damaging to our economic state. Global warming. Though advocates... (more...)