Stories Written by Araks Terteryan

IMG_1520web

International Students Choose the U.S.

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
December 5, 2013
Filed under Features

With so many study abroad programs available all over the world, why do students choose to study in United States? The number of international students at colleges and universities throughout the United States has increased over the past several years. “In my native country, if you have an... (more...)

Coming to America

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
December 5, 2013
Filed under Features

When I first stepped onto this campus and saw a male student with baggy pants and a T-shirt with a skateboard tucked under his arm I fully realized that I wasn’t in Moscow anymore. When I was 17, after graduating from high school in 2011 I had made my dream come true by entering the Moscow... (more...)

Armenian Culture Day – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
November 13, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The sounds of Armenian music, the high jumps of dancers and barbecue smoke filled Plaza Vaquero Thursday afternoon. The Armenian Student Association hosted the yearly celebration of the native culture. During the event the ASA displayed its national books and posters, giving the students a... (more...)

rosemont

Environmental Club Tours Rosemont Preserve

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
November 6, 2013
Filed under Features

Members of the GCC Environmental Club and their children explored the Rosemont Preserve Saturday morning to learn about the plants surrounding their living area. There are 7.75 acres of wilderness land at the top of Rosemont Avenue. A  local group of residents helps to steward the land and... (more...)

Nina Arsenian setting up her sculpture in the construction yard.

Students Decorate Campus With Sculptures During “Intervention” – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
October 30, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Sculpture students embellished the campus with their artwork during an event they called “Intervention” on the evening of Oct. 22. The purpose of the project was to create a sculpture without negatively affecting the campus environment. The challenge was to place the artwork with respect... (more...)

groundbreakingweb

President and Trustees Attend Groundbreaking Ceremony

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
October 30, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

College dignitaries and city officials donned hard hats, grabbed shovels and headed toward the hill below the parking structure to capture the historic moment of breaking ground on the future College/Lab Services Building on the afternoon of Oct. 21. GCC President David Viar, Board of Trustees’... (more...)

solarweb

College Begins New Energy Conservation Plans

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
October 22, 2013
Filed under News

GCC is renovating its infrastructure and at the same time saving energy with the new Energy Conservation and Modernization project. “The annual college’s power bill is about $1.4 million,” said Nelson Oliveira, director of facilities for GCC. The motion of the Energy Conservation... (more...)

demo2

Los Robles Demolition: Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
October 15, 2013
Filed under Top Stories

Saying goodbye to Los Robles: Three bulldozers demolished the Los Robles building, completely razing the building Monday morning to make a way for the new College Services/Lab building. Mallcraft Inc. tore down the entire structure in less than two hours. The Los Robles building was home to... (more...)

swat2

SWAT Trains in Pre-Demolition Los Robles

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
October 15, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The Glendale Police Department’s SWAT team (Special Weapons and Tactical) conducted a training exercise in entry maneuvers at the GCC campus on Oct. 9. The training took place at the Los Robles building, which is being demolished to make room for the new three-story College Lab/Services building. “It... (more...)

LabBldgBanner

College Services Construction Project Begins

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
October 2, 2013
Filed under Campus, Community, News, Top Stories

After 10 years in the planning and thanks to funding from local and state bonds, a new 90,000-square-foot, $50 million College Services building is set to rise up the hill beyond the cafeteria. This site is located below the parking structure and will become the home of the largest building... (more...)

LazySusanBanner

Human Figure Inspires Art Gallery Theme

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
October 2, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Reviews, Top Stories

Lazy Susan Part 3: Go Figure, a series of exhibitions highlighting figurative artists and their relationship to the historical art fabric of Los Angeles, is now on display at the GCC Art Gallery A lazy susan is a party dish — with compartments for condiments, which spins around in the middle... (more...)

IndoorSoccer

Arena Soccer in Glendale

Araks Terteryan, Staff Writer
September 18, 2013
Filed under Around Town, News, News>>Business, News>>California

The first-ever Indoor Soccer Rink in Glendale opened on June 8 in the upper level of the Glendale Civic Auditorium across from GCC on Verdugo Road. Soccer fans are coming from as far as Burbank, Hollywood, Pasadena and Van Nuys to use this new arena. Glendale had only three outdoor soccer fields... (more...)