Stories Written by Alexander Davis

Hiking trails around GCC

GCC Hiking Trails A Hidden Adventure

Alexander Davis, Staff Writer
December 4, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

The climb is treacherous. The trails disappear into thick brush if a wrong turn is taken. At the top, the hustle and bustle of campus is drowned out by the roar of the Glendale Freeway. The hiking trails beyond campus are not easy to climb, but they provide access to a wildlife preserve only... (more...)

banner-12-Years-a-Slave-4

12 Years a Slave May Sweep the Oscars

Alexander Davis, Staff Writer
November 12, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

From living the good life as a master violinist in New York to becoming enslaved and sold to a plantation in the South, one man never lost the will to live. British film director Steve McQueen’s “12 Years a Slave” follows the story of Solomon Northup, a freeman, kidnapped and forced into... (more...)

Iraq Vet Returns and Completes Fire Academy

Alexander Davis, Staff Writer
October 30, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

Long hours spent pulling ladders and handling high pressure hoses became manning a heavy duty machine gun atop an armored vehicle. Running laps through campus with fellow cadets was replaced with patrols through hostile territory. Halfway through his training at the Verdugo Fire Academy on... (more...)

Motorhead Still Shocking in 21st Century

Alexander Davis, Staff Writer
October 30, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

With the release of their 21st studio album, “Aftershock,” the British metal band Motörhead continues to deliver high quality, head-banging rock. With many hits under their belts, the band continues to defy father time as they release one of their best albums. The 67-year-old lead vocalist,... (more...)

sharkOnline

Taking a Bite Out of Shark Hysteria

Alexander Davis, Staff Writer
October 2, 2013
Filed under Features, Science

For shark expert Ralph Collier shark week comes 52 times a year. Collier has appeared as an expert on countless TV shows and magazines about sharks and has made it his mission to teach the public that sharks are intelligent predators with little interest in attacking humans. During a Sept.... (more...)

acevedo1

GCC Student Sworn in as LA Commissioner

Alexander Davis, Staff Writer
October 2, 2013
Filed under Campus, Collegiate News, News

He rose from his wheelchair, straightened himself up and accepted an honor commemorating his tireless efforts to improve  facilities for the disabled on campus and elsewhere. Glendale College student Jorge Acevedo, 42, was appointed to be a commissioner for the  Arts, Parks, Health, Aging... (more...)

insidious2

Insidious: Chapter 2 Out-performs the Original

Alexander Davis, Staff Writer
September 20, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

“Insidious: Chapter 2” is a rare example of a  sequel bettering its predecessor, which is seldom seen in the horror genre. The film, directed by James Wan (“The Conjuring,” 2013) who also wrote the screenplay  revisits the Lambert family after father Josh, played by Patrick Wilson... (more...)

Cadets

Future Firefighters Train Hard at Verdugo Fire Academy

Alexander Davis, Staff Writer
September 20, 2013
Filed under Features

By the time he was 4, Robert Sepulveda was convinced he would become a firefighter. Now, at 36, he is training the next generation of cadets at the Verdugo Fire Academy. “I would throw a tantrum in the backseat of my parents car if they didn’t follow the fire engines down the street,”... (more...)