Stories Written by Monica Terada

violetdaisynun

“Violet and Daisy” is Violent and Lazy

Monica Terada, El Vaquero Staff Writer
June 11, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Trained teenage assassins who drink milk and ride a bicycle makes for a compelling logline sure to capture attention. However, although “Violet & Daisy” commit cold-blooded murder with milk moustaches, the movie’s dialogue and logic behind the story sequence fail to hold the audience’s... (more...)

Health Center Offers Free Nutrition Counseling

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
May 28, 2013
Filed under Features

With all the hustle and bustle of contemporary society’s fast paced lifestyles, eating “slow food” can present quite a challenge, especially for students. Coming home after a full day of school and work and realizing you still have to study for next week’s midterm will certainly discourage... (more...)

STILL FRIENDS: Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms return for “The Hangover Part III.”

‘The Hangover Part III’ Delivers an Actual Hangover

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
May 28, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

“The Hangover Part III” is a clear example of how modern society’s movie viewing audience has become inversely proportional to the quality of the comedy. The masses have spoken, and they want dementia, ineptitude and ludicrousness. A fulfilling combination for the not so demanding minds... (more...)

David Viar speaks in the GCC auditorium on April 25.

David Viar to be GCC’s Next President

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
May 15, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

David Viar, current president of American River College, will be Glendale College District’s new superintendent/president. The recently elected president has many plans for GCC. “Initially it will be very much about listening and learning from the people who are a part of the community... (more...)

presentweb

Theater Department Dazzles Audience with Short Plays

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
May 15, 2013

Creative gusto explodes from the corners of GCC’s theater arts department, taking the shape of seven 10-minute plays and proving students don’t have to stroll too far for an amusing night of witty jests and first-class performances. With GCC’s 85th anniversary in mind, the theater arts... (more...)

Campus Soup-er-Man Provides Students a Reason to Dine

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under Features

For many kids superman is a flying hero to be idolized. For GCC students, “soup-er-man” is the next best thing. Jeffery Hechter, a native of Philadelphia, is the school’s maximum authority when it comes to anything soup related. He’s been making the soup for five years. “Gumbo soup... (more...)

Bodybuilding Celebrated in Goofy Comedy

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Pump your spirits full of steroids in this Michael Bay flick of hot chicks, inflated pecs and amusing gags. The perfect combination for Friday night’s lightweight entertainment pick. “Pain & Gain” follows the story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg), America’s dumbest, yet, most confident... (more...)

golfonline

Golf Team Takes Third Place at Oakmont Country Club

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
April 19, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Chilly winds at the Oakmont Country Club blew Glendale Community College’s golf players to third place on Monday. “A lot of people didn’t shoot well,” said Jin Park, one of GCC’s most promising players. “It probably had something to do with the wind or the hard course. We saw a... (more...)

Americans Need to Kick Addiction to Meat

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under Opinion

In a small American city of green trees and fresh air, a suburban house dweller, Bob, heaves himself out of bed and drags his rump into the kitchen. Greasy bacon strips sizzle on the grill. Bob throws the bacon on a plate full of scrambled eggs and as he engulfs it, he packs an extra-large... (more...)

olympus

‘Olympus Has Fallen’ Short of Expectation

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

As the audience settles into their seats and gets comfy, hundreds of civilians perish in an over the top shower of airplane gunshots and firebombs. North Koreans lead a hell of a guerilla attack against the White House, Secret Service hunk Mike Banning, played by Gerard Butler, throws hard... (more...)

A CELESTIAL SHOW: Jennifer Krestow, astronomy department head and planetarium director, hosts Afternoon with the Stars every Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. in CS 257.

‘Afternoon With The Stars’ Provides ‘Edutainment’

Monica Terada, Staff Writer
March 19, 2013
Filed under Features, Science, Top Stories

Going up the elevator tower to the parking structure, two young women spied the mosaic tiled structure protruding from GCC’s campus grounds. “That’s a really pretty tiled dome,” one woman said. “I wonder what it is.” “Oh, that? It’s just storage, like for boxes and stuff,”... (more...)