Stories Written by Kelsey Anderson

Local Activities to Start the Summer

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
May 28, 2013
Filed under Features

With summer right around the corner some students may be wondering what to do. Many students use their summer to unwind and prepare for the following semester. This list of events has a little bit of everything for students to enjoy their summer vacation.   GCC Classes: There are a multitude... (more...)

cartoononlinep1

Editorial: Sweet Sugary Escape May Come at a New Cost

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
May 15, 2013
Filed under Editorial, Opinion, Top Stories

When we hear of new ideas to lose weight, taxing sodas and other sugary drinks isn’t the first idea to come to mind. In an effort to raise funds for the fight against childhood obesity, lawmakers have proposed a bill that requires a penny-per-ounce levy on sodas, sports and energy drinks,... (more...)

Tips for Graduation

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under Features

More than 450 students graduated GCC with their Associated in Science or Arts Degree in June 2012 and it’s not as difficult as one may think. The process is quite simple and can be accomplished in just a few simple steps. What all students should know is that graduating from GCC doesn’t... (more...)

Glendale Journalism Wins 12 Awards in State Competition

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
May 1, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

Glendale’s journalism department won 12 awards in two state competitions held last month. El Vaquero’s staff took eight awards at the California College Media Association [CCMA] contest, held at San Jose State University April 20. Community colleges and four-year universities across California... (more...)

Eric2

‘Evil Dead’ Reboot Scares a New Generation

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
April 17, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Few first time filmmakers have the chance to direct a $17 million budget movie, particularly one as high profile as remaking the 1981 horror classic “The Evil Dead.” But Fede Alvarez had the chance, after his five-minute short video called Ataque de Panico became a sensation on YouTube... (more...)

Claire Phillips, left, introduces guest speaker Aimee Bender for the LA Writers Reading Series.

Aimee Bender Visits GCC

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under Features

For many college students the learning process may seem dry and impersonal, but at Glendale College, students can ask questions of prize winning authors whose books they are reading in class, including the recipient of two Pushcart Prizes, Aimee Bender. Bender returned to GCC for the second... (more...)

Men’s Golf Ranks Third

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

Despite the poor weather conditions Glendale College Men’s Golf Team came in third, losing by one point at Allan Hancock College WSC. The Vaqueros are fourth overall in the Western State Conference with a 18-18 record and just two tournaments before conference finals. “I’m more proud... (more...)

Spring Break NorCal Campus Tour

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
March 19, 2013
Filed under Campus

For the price of a movie ticket, popcorn and a drink, students can visit four university campuses in a three-day excursion. An annual spring break event, the tour of some of the top UC campuses also includes hanging out in San Francisco and staying a night in Berkeley, all for a fee of $25. GCC... (more...)

arielweb

Dashing Against Stroke

Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
March 19, 2013
Filed under Around Town, Community, Sports, Top Stories

Running is a popular form of exercise, but for some people it serves as a way to give back to their community. GCC student Cathlyn Flores laced up her running shoes Sunday for the Glendale News-Press Downtown Dash 5K, which raises funds to help prevent stroke and to raise awareness about the... (more...)

odysseo_pr_04

Saddle up for Cavalia

Kelsey Anderson, El Vaquero Staff Writer
March 6, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

With a $30 million budget, Cavalia’s creative directors realized their wildest dreams for “Odysseo,” including a carousel, screen the size of three IMAX screens and a 80,000-gallon lake. Cavalia has been deemed Cirque du Soleil, but with horses. What many people don’t know is the co-creator... (more...)

trackandfield1

Track and Field Takes First and Second at Moorpark

March 6, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Vaqueros dominated competitors at Friday’s meet at Moorpark College. The team showed a glimpse of what may be an indicator for the rest of the season. The Lady Vaqs showed up to compete, earning 146 points and finishing second to the 166 points posted by West Los Angeles College. Grace... (more...)