Stories Written by Angel Silva

Victor Castellaños

Spotlight on Former ASGCC Presidents: Victor Castellaños

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
December 4, 2012
Filed under News>>Student Government

The following is the second of a series of articles on previous ASGCC presidents employed on campus. Featured in this issue is program specialist Victor Castellanos, who was ASGCC president from 2000-2001. For program specialist Victor Castellanos, being ASGCC president involved several new... (more...)

Henan Joof

Spotlight on Former ASGCC Presidents: Henan Joof

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
December 3, 2012
Filed under News>>Student Government

For outreach coordinator Henan Joof, the economic issues affecting Glendale College today are reminiscent of those during his time as ASGCC president in 2003. “It was the same situation; we had just changed governors, Gray Davis had been kicked out and Arnold [Schwarzenegger] had taken over,... (more...)

007

Craig Returns as Bond in Skyfall

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Entertainment, Top Stories

James Bond utilizes his license to thrill audiences in his latest adventure, “Skyfall,” a revealing stand-alone in the series that takes viewers through the similar fates of Bond (Daniel Craig, “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” 2011) and new supervillain Raoul Silva (Javier Bardem,... (more...)

Spotlight on Former ASGCC Presidents: Samir Abou-Rass

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under News>>Student Government

The following is the first of a series of articles on previous ASGCC presidents employed on campus. Featured in this issue is Glendale College police sergeant and speech professor Samir Abou-Rass, who was ASGCC president from 1988 to 1989. Having first entered the college in 1985, Abou-Rass,... (more...)

Garfield Campus Rallies Voters, Raises Awareness

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
October 31, 2012
Filed under News

Professors gathered in a rally in Palm Plaza at Glendale College’s Garfield campus on Oct. 17 to urge students to register to vote and to inform them about propositions 30, 32 and 38. Several people spoke to the crowd in four languages on the implications of Proposition 30 and what the consequences... (more...)

New Policy For Student Late Payments

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
October 31, 2012
Filed under News

In an effort to curb financial losses to the college, the administration may adopt an accountability system that would drop students who don’t pay for classes on time. “Given the budget cuts and the reduction of course offerings, sound ethical practice would dictate that we should drop... (more...)

Former GCC International Students Counselor Passes Unexpectedly

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Managing Editor
October 3, 2012
Filed under Features, Online Exclusive

Phillip Kamara-Kay, international students counselor and social sciences professor, passed away over the summer at the age of 67 in his home country of Sierra Leone, three years after retiring from Glendale College at the end of the ’09 spring semester. Originally an international student,... (more...)

Looper

Time Travel Flies in ‘Looper’ Movie

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
October 2, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

Crime and time travel are thrown for a loop in “Looper,” an intelligent sci-fi thriller revolving around a future where killing someone is as easy as sending them to the past. Directed and written by Rian Johnson (“The Brothers Bloom,” 2008), “Looper” starts in the year 2044, in... (more...)

Jim Riggs Approved as Interim President/Superintendent

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
September 26, 2012
Filed under News

Taking a leave of absence from CSU Stanislaus, doctorate professor Jim Riggs is filling the position of interim president/superintendent at Glendale College for the 2012-2013 school year. “I sent my paperwork in and sent a letter of interest in, and I was asked to do an interview with the... (more...)

Of Tigers and Tax Initiatives

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
September 20, 2012
Filed under Editorial, Opinion

American writer Frank Stockton is best known for his fable “The Lady and the Tiger,” in which a man is sentenced to a unique punishment for having an affair with a king’s daughter: he is given two doors, and behind either door awaits a beautiful maiden or death via a bloodthirsty tiger. The... (more...)

ASGCC Elections Results

Angel Silva, Managing Editor
June 7, 2012
Filed under News

The Associated Students of Glendale Community College held elections for the fall semester’s student government positions from May 21 and 22, with 1,428 ballots cast during the course of two days. Arman Marukyan was elected as president/student trustee over candidate Juliana Kim, 747-495.... (more...)

Board of Trustees Approves Tenure, Computer System

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
May 23, 2012
Filed under News

The Board of Trustees approved nine faculty members for tenure and discussed the new addition of the PeopleSoft Student Education Plan system during Monday’s meeting. Professors approved for tenure were biology professor Shelley Thai; English professor Alexa Schumacher; ESL professor Glenn... (more...)

David Naiditch Presents ‘Our Baby Universe’

Angel Silva, El Vaquero News Editor
May 23, 2012
Filed under Features

Lectures, skepticism, aerospace and more — all are just another part of aerospace and computer engineer David Naiditch’s day-to-day life. A graduate of UCLA, Naiditch received his bachelor’s degree in mathematics there and received a master’s in philosophy from UC Santa Barbara. Naiditch... (more...)

‘Battleship’ Sinks Not as Much as You’d Think

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
May 23, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Movies based on games have flopped miserably, often scoring low box office scores and enraging gamers and filmgoers alike. From video game movies such as “Tekken” (2010), “Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li” (2009), and board game films such as “Clue” (1985) films based off... (more...)

State of College Address Breaks the Bad News

Angel Silva, El Vaquero News Editor
May 8, 2012
Filed under News

Upcoming hardships and how to deal with them were the subject of the State of the College address and Business Lecture Series, where campus president Dawn Lindsay and Board of Trustees president Armine Hacopian addressed the upcoming shortfalls due to recent statewide budget cuts to a full... (more...)

Board of Trustees Discuss District’s Polarizing Voting Results

Angel Silva, El Vaquero News Editor
April 4, 2012
Filed under News, Online Exclusive

The Glendale Community College District’s at-large system of voting creates polarized voting results, potentially barring candidates of certain ethnic backgrounds from being represented, according to two separate studies presented at the Board of Trustees meeting held on March 19. The... (more...)

Enrollment Freeze Hits Transfer Students

Angel Silva, El Vaquero News Editor
April 4, 2012
Filed under News

In response to difficult economic hurdles, the California State University (CSU) system will not accept transfer students for the 2013 spring semester at most of its campuses and will wait list all incoming fall students until Nov. 6, when the results of a potential tax measure are known. “CSU... (more...)

Robiglio Awarded Fullbright Scholarship

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 4, 2012
Filed under Features

Garfield Campus ESL professor Deborah Robiglio has been selected as a Fulbright Scholar and will travel to Chile in Spring 2013 under the program, both as an instructor and researcher at a national university. “I’m still in shock that I actually got it,” said Robiglio. “But I’m really... (more...)

Rock of Ages

‘Rock of Ages’ Enjoys Limited Run at the Pantages

Angel Silva, News Editor
March 22, 2012

Nostalgia for simpler times and days past is common enough in our fast-paced world and although time travel isn’t possible, “Rock of Ages” provides a raunchy, rockin’, rowdy romp through love and social change in late 1980’s Los Angeles. “Rock of Ages” follows Sherrie (Shannon... (more...)

protest-cover2

College Students Protest Cuts to Higher Education

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
March 14, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

College students and instructors from across the state gathered in Sacramento on March 5 for a massive protest against continued budget cuts to higher education in California. The protesters gathered at Southside Park, arriving on buses and carrying signs. Colleges that sent students to Sacramento... (more...)

Classes Are Making the Switch to Moodle

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
March 1, 2012
Filed under News

In a move to save money, GCC is adopting Moodle, a free online class supplement program, to replace the older Blackboard program that has been in place for approximately 7 years. According to Brett Miketta, business department coordinator and GCC Moodle team member, one of the main reasons... (more...)

aaFire620x300

Fire Academy Celebrates Largest Graduation in History

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Reporter
January 18, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

Verdugo Fire Academy’s Class XIV graduated on Jan. 7 with 45 students, the largest number of graduates in the history of the Verdugo program. “We said early on we were going to take as many people to graduation as possible, and here we stand, 45 strong,” said Cadet Brent Pattison. The... (more...)

Santa Ana Winds Wreak Havoc on Campus, Community

Angel Silva
December 6, 2011
Filed under News

Glendale College was subject to the strongest Santa Ana winds in 10 years, leaving the campus in a state of disarray last week as debris and damages surrounded the campus. The Santa Ana winds are strong, dry winds that hit Southern California every year during late fall into the onset of winter.... (more...)

Saturday Jazz Band Rock the Auditorium

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 22, 2011
Filed under Online Exclusive

The Glendale College music department presented a three-part jazz ensemble performance to a packed auditorium on Nov. 19.   The evening performance started before the show, with members of the Saturday Jazz Band performing a warm-up act in the auditorium lobby as people entered to buy... (more...)

occupyweb

Occupy LA at GCC Holds Informational Teach-in

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 22, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

Occupy LA at GCC held a teach-in at the faculty lounge on Nov. 10 to inform students of the events and policies leading to the dissent of the American public and the creation of the movement in general. “The ‘Occupy the World’ movement is a social protest movement that is consistent with... (more...)

autobahnweb2

Cars and Dialogue Ride Side By Side in ’Autobahn’

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 15, 2011

Neil LaBute’s “Autobahn,” a play cycle focusing on the nature of conversations inside of a car, opened at Glendale College on Oct. 26 at the Auditorium. First written in 2003, “Autobahn” is unlike any of LaBute’s other works. It’s a collection of seven short plays — four monologues... (more...)

Artificial Intelligence: Robots Coming Soon

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 15, 2011
Filed under Features, Science

The year is 2011. Why are there no robots among us? That was the question that part-time faculty member and self-proclaimed geek Stephen Weese answered via a robotics lecture titled “Where’s My Robot Companion?” on Oct. 25. “There’s something about computers and humanity that is very... (more...)

publicity autoshape 014_web

Edgy Look at Art and Beauty in “Shape”

Angel Silva, staff reporter
October 27, 2011

Glendale College’s opening of “The Shape of Things,” Neil LaBute’s dark insight into the nature of art, beauty and relationships, opened Oct. 19 at the auditorium to a full crowd. Written in 2001 and produced as a movie in 2003, “The Shape of Things” revolves around the relationship... (more...)

holylandasuburbanmemoir

‘Holy Land’ Author D.J. Waldie Gives Reading on Campus

Angel Silva, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 27, 2011
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Californian author and essayist D.J. Waldie spoke to a full audience in Kreider Hall Oct. 19 on his book, “Holy Land: A Suburban Memoir” and on his life in Lakewood in the 1950s. “My story is very much about the experience of growing up for tens of thousands of Angelenos who came of age... (more...)

ducks4kids

Glendale Club holds its annual Kiwanis Incredible Duck Splash fundraiser

Angel Silva, staff reporter
October 10, 2011
Filed under Features, Online Exclusive, Top Stories

The Kiwanis Club of Glendale will be holding its annual Kiwanis Incredible Duck Splash fundraiser at Verdugo Park on Saturday to raise money for charity causes around Glendale and Los Angeles. According to rubber duck race coordinator and Kiwanis board of directors member Vincent Espinoza,... (more...)

J-Walt

J-Walt Adamczyk Animates the Planetarium

Angel Silva, Staff Reporter
October 10, 2011
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Online Exclusive

Animation is conventionally known as a series of prerecorded images that move to give the impression of life. However, one artist’s works are giving a new meaning to the traditional definition of animation. John Walter Adamczyk, better known by his moniker J-Walt, works with real-time animation,... (more...)

James Brown Day

James Brown Exhibit Electrifies the Grammy Museum

Angel Silva, staff reporter
September 29, 2011

The “Say it Loud! The Genius of James Brown” exhibit features 40 years of the Godfather of Soul’s influential career life, times and music in a flashy whirlwind of soul and funk. For newlisteners to Brown’s music, the exhibit offers a wide glimpse into Brown’s style and impact on... (more...)

football_online

Fall Sports Preview

Angel Silva, staff reporter
September 14, 2011
Filed under Sports

CROSS COUNTRY GCC’s cross country team has a history of successful years and records for both men and women and last season was no exception. The women’s teams have won the California State Title from 2006 to 2009 and last year won second in the Western State Conference, sixth in Southern... (more...)

Alexandre Receives Parker Award

Angel Silva, staff reporter
September 14, 2011
Filed under Features

History professor Gordon Alexandre received the Dr. William L. Parker Award on Sept. 2 in the student center for his work as chief negotiator and two-time president of the Faculty Guild. “My service to the college has been as the leader of the teacher’s union for 20 years,” said Alexandre. Academic... (more...)