Stories Written by Rebecca Krueger

banner

Montrose Christmas Parade – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Rebecca Krueger, El Vaquero Staff Writer
December 19, 2012
Filed under Top Stories, Uncategorized

Rain did not stop the 36th annual Montrose Christmas Parade on Dec. 1. The parade started in the Honolulu and Rosemont Avenue intersection and had more than 150 supporters. The assortment of supporters ranged from GCC and Glendale Water and Power to Crescenta Valley Weekly and several local... (more...)

“East of Byzantium: War Gods” Brings History to Life

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
December 11, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

In Roger Kupelian’s first graphic novel, “East of Byzantium: War Gods,” the images are a combination of photographs and his award-winning paintings digitally infused together to tell a historical story of a cursed kingdom that has to “carve out its heart to remain whole.” “War Gods”... (more...)

Trustees Dispute Claim of Budget Surplus

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under News

An audience of hecklers interrupted decorum at the board of trustees meeting on Nov. 19. Current and former instructors as well as students took turns questioning the board of trustees’ financial decisions for the first half hour of the meeting. “I think that the people of the district... (more...)

EofB

Kupelian Creates Armenian Graphic Novel

November 14, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

Roger Kupelian is the creator of some of the most iconic worlds in contemporary cinema, such as the “Lord of the Rings “trilogy, and he has constructed a new world in his latest endeavor, “East of Byzantium.” With the job title of matte painter, it’s up to Kupelian to paint and digitally... (more...)

Campus Reacts to Prop. 30 Win With Relief

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under News

GCC students, faculty and staff breathed a sigh of relief after averting a financial pitfall when early in the morning on Nov. 7 it was announced that Proposition 30 passed with 53.6 percent of the votes. Interim president of GCC, Jim Riggs, kept waking up throughout the night checking his... (more...)

Campus Profile Shows Decline in Enrollment, Diversity

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under Features

Since 2010, there has been a drop of 4,627 full-time equivalent students and an 8 percent increase in the Caucasian population at GCC. “We have to keep diversity as high as possible on campus,” said Edward Karpp, associate dean of institutional research and planning. If other ethnic group... (more...)

Interim President Riggs Struggles to “Hold Up Sky”

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
October 31, 2012
Filed under News

“The sky is falling,” said Jim Riggs and as the one-year interim president of GCC, it is his intention to catch it before it crashes. Riggs spoke of changes needing to be made at the faculty meeting on Oct. 11. “We are going to have to make GCC a lot smaller,” said Riggs, whose budget... (more...)

Director of Facilities Has Plans for Improvement

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
October 31, 2012
Filed under Features

In Nelson Oliveira’s, the new Director of Facilities and Construction, office there are boxes on the floor pushed against the wall, construction and electrical manuals, a small assortment of colorful neckties and paint and floor samples that occupy the otherwise empty shelves. It’s been... (more...)

Zamudio

Graham-Zamudio Runs Away With Victory

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
October 31, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Grace Graham-Zamudio, 19, has spent half of her life running from goal to goal. Ever since finishing her first 5K run at 10 years of age with her father, Zamudio just can’t stop. “I’ve been running for almost half of my life,” she said. Zamudio was September’s athlete of the month... (more...)

Early detection can help stroke victims.

Different Strokes, the Subject of Biology Lecture

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
October 30, 2012
Filed under Features, Science

Ten years after her mother’s stroke, Kindra Girard, biology professor and this year’s Distinguished Faculty Award Winner, became interested with the anatomy of strokes. She shared this personal interest to a full house on Thursday at Kreider Hall. Strokes occur when brain cells die in a... (more...)

Whitneigh Braxton Is Soccer’s New Star

October 17, 2012
Filed under Features

Sporting hot pink manicured nails, diamond studded earrings with silver sequined sandals to match, no one would know that Whitneigh Braxton, 21, was an aggressive goal-scoring machine for the Vaqueros women’s soccer team. Since she was little, Braxton has been an athlete. She danced tap,... (more...)

Interns Help with Mental Issues

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
October 3, 2012
Filed under Features

Marriage Family Therapist interns at GCC offer therapy for students going through an emotional and mental crisis, giving them somewhere to go for help. “Students coming into college are experiencing an adolescent transitioning period,” said Makeda Abraham, MFT trainee.. “They are learning... (more...)

State Senator Lui Pushes New Academic Plan

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
October 3, 2012
Filed under News

A new proposal which would require community college students to create an academic plan or else be denied fee waivers in an effort to increase graduation rates was presented by state Sen. Carol Liu, D-Glendale to the board of trustees on Sep. 24. “While we want everybody to have opportunity,... (more...)

Campus Braces for $4.6 Million More in Budget Cuts

Rebecca Krueger, Staff Writer
September 22, 2012
Filed under News

Facing a possible $4.6-million budget cut, in addition to the current $4.5 million deficit, the Glendale Community College board of trustees prepared the 2012-13 budget consideringthe possibility that Proposition 30 will not pass in November. On Sept. 10 at the board of trustees meeting the... (more...)

whitneightest

Women’s Soccer Stumbles Again

September 20, 2012
Filed under Online Exclusive, Sports, Top Stories

Glendale Community College Women’s soccer was handicapped by injuries to three starters in their 3-2 loss against Irvine Valley College at their home field on Sep. 14. GCC held the lead the entire first half of the game with 2 goals by Whitneigh Braxton. Irvine came back with a different... (more...)