Stories Written by Chantal Bevard

A brush fire between the 134 and 2 freeways closed a section of the 2 freeway in both directions  Friday.

GCC Cancels Friday Night Classes Due to Brush Fire

Chantal Bevard, El Vaquero Managing Editor
May 3, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

GCC school officials cancelled classes Friday due to a brush fire between the 2 and 134 freeways. The 75-acre fire that started around 2 p.m. threatened buildings, closed streets and closed a section of the 2 freeway. The Flash Player and a browser with Javascript support are needed.. var... (more...)

Arman Marukyan1

ASGCC President Transformed Low Grades to Success

Chantal Bevard, Managing Editor
March 6, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

The current Associated Students of Glendale Community College president has come a long way since nearly failing his freshman year of high school. ASGCC president, Arman Marukyan, has overcome family tragedy, recovered from a serious car accident and he has completely transformed his academic... (more...)

Riggs Backs New Smoking Policy

Chantal Bevard, Managing Editor
March 6, 2013
Filed under News

The battle over whether or not to make Glendale Community College a non-smoking campus has been brewing since 2010; now Interim Superintendent/President Jim Riggs is urging not only the campus, but also the district, to become completely smoke-free. In a letter addressed to the GCC community,... (more...)

Female Veteran Succeeds at Glendale

Chantal Bevard, El Vaquero Staff Writer
January 7, 2013
Filed under Features

She may blend in with other students at Glendale Community College, but she is far from the average college woman. Between starting life in the Philippines, partially raised in Thailand, serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and South Korea and giving back to her community, Kristel Vear has led an exciting... (more...)

Lakers

D’Antoni Proves His Worth

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
December 9, 2012
Filed under Online Exclusive

Do not worry Lakers’ fans, Mike D’Antoni is the right man for the job and will take the team to the playoffs. Although fans were disappointed to hear that Phil Jackson would not be returning to coach the Lakers after Mike Brown was fired, they don’t need to panic — the Lakers are still... (more...)

hitchcock

‘Hitchcock’ Brings ‘Psycho’ Back

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Entertainment, Top Stories

“Hitchcock” is about one of the most famous directors, Alfred Hitchcock, and the drama that engulfed the making of “Psycho,” perhaps his best-known film. Many critics complain that “Hitchcock” is not entirely historically accurate, it is a fiction movie, and should be seen as just... (more...)

crosscountry

Cross Country Teams Win Top Honors at All-WSC

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Cross country runner Grace Graham-Zamudio flew by the competition this season and was named Western State Conference female athlete of the year, continuing the program’s victorious tradition. Graham-Zamudio joined two other runners on the All-Western State Conference first team. Abril Ramirez... (more...)

111912_ELVAQ_MELIKIANb01

Associated Students Elect New Officers

Chantal Bevard, El Vaquero Staff Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under Campus, News, Top Stories

The campus will have both new and returning Associated Student vice presidents and senators for the spring semester after students voted on Nov. 27 and 28. Although the Associated Students invested in a new display board to promote the election and inform voters, only 946 ballots were cast... (more...)

theaternerds

Drama Department Revives Classic Play

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
November 18, 2012

In this time where women’s rights hang in the balance, Director Melissa R. Randel eloquently brings back, “A Doll’s House” by Henrik Ibsen, script was adapted by Christopher Hampton, a play that originally challenged women’s rights and roles in society when it first opened in 1879. GCC’s... (more...)

xcountry

Cross Country Teams Prepare for State Finals

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
November 18, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Victory was bittersweet for the cross country teams on Nov. 3. Although both the women’s and the men’s teams are continuing on to compete at the state championships, neither team claimed the Southern California Championship title at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa. The women’s team took second... (more...)

Club Forms to Support Veterans on Campus

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under Features

There are more than 350 of them on campus; students walk by them every day not knowing that they are there. These are the people who signed up to serve their country no matter what that cost might be; they are the veterans of the United States military. A couple of determined veterans formed... (more...)

ASGCC Awards $23,000 in Campus Grants

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under News

The Associated Students of Glendale Community College granted more than $23,000 to programs, projects and clubs around campus. During the recent ASGCC legislature meetings, the Associated Students took the advisers’ advice and investigated which projects its grants would fund. At the Nov.... (more...)

drhouse

Haunted History Comes Alive at Doctor’s House

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
October 31, 2012
Filed under Features, Top Stories

Caskets, postmortem photos and hair jewelry — not the typical things to see during a night out in Glendale. But in in the spirit of Halloween, the Glendale Historical Society hosted “Beneath the Veil,” a one-night exhibit on Saturday on death and mourning during the Victorian era at the... (more...)

President Arman Marukyan Reminds Student Officers of Responsibilities

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
October 31, 2012
Filed under News

When people elect officials, they expect those officials to take care of their responsibilities; this isn’t just for state or federal government officials, but for student government officials as well. Some of the Associated Students are neglecting their duties as the semester progresses,... (more...)

Women Lose if GOP Wins Election

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
October 31, 2012
Filed under Opinion

The election on Nov. 6 is not about appearances or political agenda. This election is about the real issues, but isn’t just about the economy and healthcare, it’s about women’s rights. If Republican candidate Mitt Romney is elected on Nov. 6, women’s rights are threatened. The Romney... (more...)

rally620.300

Rare Stormy Day Fails to Deter Rally

Chantal Bevard, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 18, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

The brewing thunderclouds didn’t deter students from crowding Plaza Vaquero on Thursday to devour all that speakers had to say about the importance of voting, particularly for Proposition 30. The Associated Students of Glendale Community College formed a rally with several speakers championing... (more...)

Kids help gather the rubber ducks after the race on Saturday.

Kiwanis Duck Splash Raises Funds for Kids

Chantal Bevard, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under News

Thousands of rubber ducks crowded Verdugo Park on Saturday as the Kiwanis Club of Glendale hosted its eighth annual Incredible Duck Splash to raise money for local community projects. The Kiwanis club helps raise money for community youth programs. The Glendale chapter was founded in 1922 and... (more...)

lutz600

Lutz Continues His Upward Climb

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under Sports

For one cross country athlete with a quirky sense of humor, running is almost as essential to life as breathing. “It has always been part of me; if I stop running I get depressed and my sleeping schedule gets out of balance,” said Kurt Lutz, an environmental science major. “I mean it’s... (more...)

Women’s Golf Holds Onto First Place

Chantal Bevard, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Avoiding trees, bunkers and even squirrels, the Lady Vaqueros secured their number one spot in the league by winning their home conference match at Brookside Golf Course in Pasadena on Monday. The Vaqueros are currently number one their league with a 5-1 record. This is the first time since... (more...)

Journalism Program Receives 34 Awards

Chantal Bevard, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

GCC’s newspaper, El Vaquero, and magazine, The Insider, won 34 awards at the Journalism Association of Community Colleges’ Southern California conference at California State University, Fullerton on Oct. 5 and 6. This is the most awards that the Glendale staff has ever brought home. Community... (more...)

ASGCC Facilitates Voter Registration

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
October 3, 2012
Filed under News

As the November presidential election nears, the Associated Students of Glendale Community College are pushing to register and educate students. Tzoler Oukayan, student activities coordinator, and Arman Marukyan, Associated Students President, urged the rest of the ASGCC to help register students... (more...)

12 Angela Gaignard 2 Brooke Forrester

Despite Best Effort, Lady Vaqs Lose to Cougars

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
October 2, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Although the Lady Vaqueros ultimately lost their match Friday to the Lady Cougars, the volleyballers made the Cougars fight for every point in the three games, but they ultimately were shut out in a 0-3 matchup (25-18, 25-20, 25-15). Friday’s game was the Vaqueros’ first conference game,... (more...)

Students Benefit From American Opportunity Tax Credit

Chantal Bevard, El Vaquero Staff Writer
September 25, 2012
Filed under News

Many college students are throwing away $2,500 in tax credits and $1,000 in refunds every year all because they are not taking advantage of the American Opportunity Tax Credit. Under this program students can earn up to $2,500 in tax credit by saving their receipts for qualified educational... (more...)

Cross Country Takes 2nd, 3rd at Classic

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
September 22, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Vaquero’s proved that extreme heat wasn’t a problem for them at the Orange Coast Classic cross country SoCal preview meet at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa. The women’s team took second place while the men’s team took third place. As temperatures rose to the mid 90s, the Lady Vaqueros... (more...)

‘Yes on 30’ Committee Registering Voters

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
September 20, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 41.5 percent of people ages 18 to 24 weren’t registered to vote in 2008. A group at GCC aims to change that for this election cycle. The Yes On 30, No On 32 Committee, made up of students, classified staff and faculty, wants to register as many students... (more...)

banner HH

Hispanic Heritage Month – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

Chantal Bevard, Staff Writer
January 4, 2011
Filed under Top Stories

The Flash Player and a browser with Javascript support are needed.. var mo37_4 = { params : { wmode : "transparent", allowfullscreen : "true"}, flashvars : { showLogo : "false", showRegistration : "false", dataFile : "http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elvaq.com%2Findex.php%3Fcallback%3Dmonoslideshow%26gid%3D37"}, attr... (more...)