Stories Written by Jonathan Caballeros

xbox-one-vs-playstation-4-ps4-540x334

Xbox One vs. PS4

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
December 5, 2013
Filed under Features

Xbox One With over a million units sold in a day, the Xbox One is flying off store shelves, taking gaming and entertainment to new limits for families and gamers alike. The Xbox One goes beyond gaming, having the ability to play the latest games, while being the media center in any room. Connecting... (more...)

Obama Signs Student Loan Interest Bill

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
September 18, 2013
Filed under News

Students can breathe easier as President Obama has signed into law this month a measure to cut interest rates on undergraduate student loans to 3.86 percent, from the original 6.8 percent, after an impasse in Congress allowed interest rates to double in August. “I think the essence of the... (more...)

GCC Softball Coach Dave Wilder Dies at 70

Jonathan Caballeros, El Vaquero Staff Writer
June 11, 2013
Filed under News, Obituaries

Dave “Hawk” Wilder, coach of the Lady Vaqueros softball team, died on Sunday, May 2 at his home in Northridge at the age of 70. Wilder coached at Glendale from 2001 to 2013, winning 213 games during his career overall and 124 in divisional games. GCC assistant softball coach Sal Pizzo said... (more...)

ITS Works With Broadening Wi-Fi Usage

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
May 28, 2013
Filed under Features

As the GCC student body grows, so does the need for more wireless internet access. When many of the popular locations on campus start to slow down and knock students off the grid, many other less populated locations still go strong, but in an undesired location. “Internet is okay here…... (more...)

FacultyRecitalweb

Faculty Music Recital Excites Audience

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment, Top Stories

Step aside students, the teachers are playing this time. The GCC music faculty played April 25 allowing the students to unwind and the teachers to show their musical prowess. Professors Patrick Rosalez on viola and Theodora Primes on piano, started off the show with a rendition of Johannes... (more...)

GCC Play Production Pays Tribute to Love

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
April 13, 2013

From the blind “love at first sight,” to the painful loss of love that many people face in a day-to-day basis, love has been expressed more than any other emotion, yet is the most difficult to describe. GCC’s performance of John Cariani’s “Almost, Maine” directed by Jeanette... (more...)

robots

High School Students Attack in Robotics Competition

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under News

Students throughout Southern California competed in the Glendale College Robotics Competition on Saturday to promote the sciences, technology, engineering and math departments, otherwise known as STEM. The main competition was comprised of 16 teams from 13 schools across three counties, which... (more...)

Prop 30 Eases Deficit

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
March 19, 2013
Filed under Campus

Large funding gap remains Proposition 30, which raises taxes to fund education, passed on Nov. 6, 2012, helping K-12 schools and colleges. Although the proposition is helping GCC raise money, there is still a big gap in funding. With the college at a $3.8 million deficit, GCC Interim President/Superintendent... (more...)

Campus News Briefs

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
March 19, 2013
Filed under News>>El Vaquero News Briefs

• Should the campus move the spring 2014 semester from mid-February to mid-January, summer and fall 2013 semesters will not be affected, but there will no longer be any winter semesters offered following the move. • To supplement the loss of the winter session, at least two summer sessions... (more...)

Expert Tips for Freshmen Ease Drop-Out Rates

March 6, 2013
Filed under Features

Approximately half of community college freshmen drop out in their first year, according to the Policy Analysis for California Education (PACE). About 2,000 freshmen attend GCC every fall semester. Under the PACE analysis, about 1,000 will drop out by the end of the spring semester. To help... (more...)

Spring Semester May Start Earlier in 2014

March 6, 2013
Filed under News

Glendale Community College Interim President/Superintendent Jim Riggs has proposed to move the spring 2014 semester to mid-January to help students succeed at a faster pace and to save money for college in the process. The movement of the spring 2014 session would allow the campus to have a... (more...)

eric

Glendale Fire Department Extinguished Flaming Car in Front of GCC

March 6, 2013
Filed under News

A black Mercedes Benz caught fire at the student unloading area, on Verdugo Road, causing firefighters to rush in and control the blaze, a little before noon on Tuesday. “All I saw was the car pull up and it was smoking,” said Fabio Palmieri, 19, business major, “after the car stopped... (more...)

Renner and Bowerman Debate Prop 32

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
October 31, 2012
Filed under News

Unions were created with the thought of bringing together the masses, so they can have a word in what happens in their state and nation. What would happen if unions were no longer given the right to use dues to support political campaigns? History professors Peggy Renner and Roger Bowerman... (more...)

Prop 30 Could Prevent Class Cuts, Wait Lists

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
October 3, 2012
Filed under News

As the November ballots draw closer, schools and colleges prepare for what-if scenarios as Proposition 30 is losing its buzz among voters, in what could be one of the most important ballot measures for future generations. “All colleges and universities are already starting to cut back, just... (more...)

American Dream Within Reach of AB540 Students

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
September 25, 2012
Filed under News

The American Dream could be closer to reality for undocumented AB540 students thanks to a recent executive order by President Obama. The president’s order has would allow certain undocumented students to work and study without fear of deportation. In conjunction with the president’s move,... (more...)

September 22, 2012
Filed under Features

Cafeteria Undergoes Massive Remodeling

September 22, 2012
Filed under News

Renovations to the cafeteria have made purchasing faster and have given a new classroom to culinary arts majors, but that’s only the beginning on a major reconstruction of the entire campus. Los Robles, former home to the culinary arts department, faces an uncertain fate of whether it is... (more...)

Bean Cafe Offers Tasty Snacks on Campus

May 23, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

The Bean Café, a new coffee shop on campus, has opened up where the old Café Vaquero used to be, and with it brings more than just the average cup of joe. With Peet’s Coffee being their flagship item, the Bean Café opened up on May 7 for students to enjoy food, drinks and sometimes enjoy... (more...)

‘Bound Day’ Brings High School Students

Jonathan Caballeros, Staff Writer
May 22, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

s the semester ends, graduations commence and the transfer process begins for many Vaqueros. Many new students, mainly high school students, take place of the departing students, but usually have no idea on how to acquire the resources that the campus has to offer. “Bound Day,”... (more...)

SPARK Program Offers Peer Mentoring

May 8, 2012
Filed under Features

According to the Policy Analysis for California Education, more than half of all new students enrolling into a community college will drop out by the first semester, many with complex reasons, but GCC has a program to keep new students enrolled and thriving in classes, and current Vaqueros... (more...)

Tuition Increases to $46 per Unit

May 8, 2012
Filed under News

Starting this summer, all community colleges in California will see an enrollment fee hike of $10, to $46 per unit, as a method to lower state debts. “The state college system had a $149 million deficit this year, almost $8 million coming from GCC,” said Ron Nakasone, executive vice president... (more...)

New Convenience Store Offers Affordable $1 Snacks

April 4, 2012
Filed under Features, Online Exclusive

Cradled between the McDonald’s at Canada Boulevard and Towne Street and the restaurants between Verdugo Road and Canada Boulevard, is a new store offering low prices for chips and soda, reviving the existence of the $1 snack. Orange Stop is a convenience store opened by Glendale students... (more...)

Different Options for Priority Registration

April 4, 2012
Filed under Features

Priority registration is awarded to those who give priority to education, and that doesn’t just include seniority and a high GPA. There are many factors involved in calculating a student’s registration date, such as having an active role on campus, which can be the difference between getting... (more...)

AB540 Students Qualify for BOG Fee Waivers

March 15, 2012
Filed under News

Each year, nearly three million students throughout California will apply to college to better their lives through education, but one demographic continuously struggles to receive the aid it needs to continue on to higher education. This group is the AB540, undocumented students. Karen Diaz... (more...)

Social Sciences Celebrate Lacks

March 14, 2012
Filed under Features

Arguments rose, points were made and some emotional moments were shared Thursday afternoon, during the presentation “What’s in a name? HeLa/Henrietta Lacks: Two Sides of Same Coin.” Discussion was led by Reina Prado and J.C. Moore. A crowd of about 25 people came to LB205 to discuss the... (more...)

beelineweb

Changes in Bus Service Affect Beeline Users

March 1, 2012
Filed under Features

More changes have come to the Glendale Beeline system. While prices are not rising again, schedule changes have come into effect for the Beeline 3 and a new bus line has been created to get to GCC, the Beeline 32, which runs from the Glendale Galleria to GCC. The addition of the Beeline 32,... (more...)

swapmeetweb

Swap Meet Yields Unusual Collectables

March 1, 2012
Filed under Features

Posters, photos, trading cards, slot machine fronts and lire are just a few of the treasures that can be found at the Glendale Community College swap meet. Located in the parking lot on Mountain Street and the California 2 Highway, the GCC swap meet is held every third Sunday of each month. With... (more...)