Stories Written by John Ferrara

gardenpix

GCC Environmental Club Grows Healthy Food Options

John Ferrara, Staff Writer
May 15, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

A project two-and-a-half years in the making, the Vaquero Greenery is finally on the verge of bearing fruit. “The garden is about 90 percent complete,” said Abe Barakat, senior accounting clerk and garden volunteer. In fall of 2011, senior instructional computer lab technician Maria Shufeldt... (more...)

“Hitman” Absolutely Misses the Mark

John Ferrara, Sports Editor
December 12, 2012
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

While the video game industry pumps out cookie cutter, first person shoot-’em-ups, IO Interactive’s Hitman series offers the option to slowly stalk your victims one at a time and meticulously plan out their death like a child with a magnifying glass. Lurk in the shadows, or walk among the... (more...)

nj

Hoops Player Stays Positive Despite Tragic Past

John Ferrara, Sports Editor
December 6, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Dealt a childhood shadowed by the tragedy of his parent’s murders, he remains positive through the love of his grandparents and a passion for basketball. When Mike Johnson was 2 years old, he lost his mother and father in an unsolved double homicide. However, Johnson still chooses not to... (more...)

Hurricane Sandy Closes East Coast Campuses

John Ferrara, Sports Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under News

Thousands of community college students struggle to complete their school semesters after Hurricane Sandy rocked the coast of New Jersey and New York on Oct. 29, shutting down many schools for days as cities were left flooded and without power. “Nineteen hundred of our seventyfive hundred... (more...)

Glendale Coaches Face Recruitment Difficulties

John Ferrara, Sports Editor
October 31, 2012
Filed under Sports

Inexperience and lack of local talent, combined with a program that refuses to recruit out-of-state athletes has created an unwinnable environment for competent Glendale coaches. Most teams can no longer compete with large district schools that actively scout players from around the country. As... (more...)

football

Vaqueros Lose Game in Broad Daylight

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Editor
October 17, 2012
Filed under Sports

Glendale played its first day game in Sartoris field’s history, but after a 41-6 beating on Saturday the Vaqs needed a dark place to hide their heads. “We didn’t function throwing the football,” coach John Rome said. Quarterback Nick Blackmon continued his streak of subpar performances... (more...)

keoshian, collin Emotion on the sideline

Keoshian’s Football Career Resurrected at GCC

John Ferrara, Sports Editor
October 17, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Two years ago Collin Keoshian had a full ride at Brigham Young University, but he gave it up for what he loves most, his family and running the football. He is 6 feet 3 inches tall, weighs 240 pounds, and has arms like legs. Keoshian, 21, is a punishing power back with the ability to drag four... (more...)

football

Vaquero Football Loses by an Inch – Literally

John Ferrara, Sports Editor
October 2, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

It’s fourth and one with a minute and a half to play. Down by three, the ball rests comfortably on the 22-yard line. A kick could tie the game, but the temptation of glory is seductive. The quarterback calls “hike!” and star running back Collin Keoshian disappears into a pile of jerseys. Players... (more...)

Men’s Soccer Wins Its First Game of Season

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Staff Writer
September 22, 2012
Filed under Sports

Men’s soccer coach Joe Agoston also teaches theatre arts, but his locker room is no place for prima donnas. “Last year we had too many people who were self-centered,” said Agoston. This year’s team is made up of 23 freshmen and one sophomore. Most players from the 2011 squad didn’t... (more...)

Foundation Sponsors Golf Fundraiser

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Editor
May 23, 2012
Filed under Sports

The ambitious goal is to raise as much as $100,000 for the campus when the Glendale College Foundation tees off for its 30th annual Golf Classic at the Oakmont Country club on June 11. The funds would be used for college needs as well as scholarships. The classic began as an athletics department... (more...)

College Policy is up in Smoke

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Editor
May 23, 2012
Filed under News

California community colleges were given the authority to impose fines for violations of their campus smoking policies as of January. However, Glendale College is still unable to issue tickets due to uncertainties in how they will be administered. “The problem with laws sometimes is that... (more...)

Pell Grant Aid Cut to Six Years

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Editor
May 8, 2012
Filed under News

Major changes to the regulations in financial aid and course enrollment will go into effect this July, potentially hurting many unsuspecting students in an attempt to demand accountability for their use of already limited funds during a major budget crisis. Effective July 12, all students will... (more...)

John Brandyweb

Underhander Overwhelms Competition

John Ferrara, Sports Editor
May 8, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

She led the conference in strikeouts, now she’s leading her team into the post-season. Brandy Morin’s frame is small, but her long arms give her an intimidating, roundhouse delivery, accompanied by a deep grunt that leaves batters paralyzed. “She’s had about the best performance of... (more...)

Lady Vaqs Defeat L.A. Mission with Back-to-Back Shutouts – Grab WSC Second Place – Exclusive Slideshow Coverage

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Editor
April 24, 2012
Filed under Online Exclusive, Sports, Top Stories

With the postseason on the line, sophomore Brandy Morin pitched a masterful shutout victory against L.A. Mission College, rested for 30 minutes, and then did it again. The Vaqs locked up second-place in the Western State Conference (Blue Division) and earned a trip the playoffs on Tuesday,... (more...)

Dodgers Drama Plays Like Spaghetti Western

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Reporter
April 24, 2012
Filed under Sports

For the past year, Chavez Ravine has been more suited to a wild-west shootout than a major league ballpark. The stadium is nearly empty as fans have been chased inside their homes, where they watch safely from their televisions. Three men wiggle their fingers in anticipation of drawing for... (more...)

School Employees Take Pay Cut to Balance Budget

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Editor
April 4, 2012
Filed under News

Management, faculty members and classified employees have agreed to make multiple sacrifices, through salary cuts and reserve contributions, in an attempt to balance Glendale College’s budget for the 2011-2012 fiscal year. “We took the concept of each group doing their share…. I think... (more...)

softballwebphoto

Softball Opens Season With Tough Loss

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Editor
March 13, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Numbers can be cruel. The Lady Vaqs held College of the Canyons to only five hits Thursday, but managed to lose their first conference game of the season 7-6 at home. “They were tough, but we’ll take ’em in the next two … we’re just as good as they are.” said outfielder... (more...)

Medicinal plant hike web

Herb Walk Takes Hikers to New Heights

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 15, 2011
Filed under Features, Top Stories

On a clear Saturday morning in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, a Chumash medicine woman leads a group of soccer moms and weekend warriors in prayer, chanting what sounds like “yamaquideh,” a Chumash word meaning “burrowing owl.” Six long braids sway across her torso as she... (more...)

dancup2

Harmon: A Pillar of the ‘Community’

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 27, 2011
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

The methods in which Dan Harmon tells stories and perceives his life are one and the same. “If I’m having a bad day, I can take a step back and chart it on a circle and say, in terms of this experience this is the lesson I’m learning at this stage; then you can see it won’t be long... (more...)

Lady Vaqueros Attacked by Fighting Owls

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Sports Writer
October 27, 2011
Filed under Sports

Ending an 11-game losing streak is bittersweet, especially when you give up the tying goal seconds before the final whistle. The women’s soccer team tied for the first time this season 2-2 on a foggy Friday night at Sartoris Field against the Citrus College Fighting Owls. “It’s been the... (more...)

Rides, Bears and Deep-Fried Kool-Aid Balls: L.A. County Fair Enters its Final Week For 2011 Season

John Ferrara, El Vaquero Staff Writer
September 29, 2011
Filed under Features

The Los Angeles County Fair is open until Sunday. For anyone with a free day, some extra cash and a full tank of gas, the fair is sure to deliver good times. The outside appears to be the cliche carnival rides and ripoff game booths. However venture in, and there’s a day’s worth of activities... (more...)

Walmart to Open in Burbank

John Ferrara, Staff Writer
September 28, 2011
Filed under Features

About 30 people lined the street of Olive Avenue on Sept. 20 to protest outside Burbank City Hall, armed with anti-Walmart signs, chanting “be smart, no Walmart!” In June, Walmart purchased the former Great Indoors building located at 1301 Victory Place adjacent to the Burbank Empire Center. A... (more...)

Suzanna Sargsyan

Suzanna Sargsyan: New ASGCC President

John Ferrara, staff reporter
September 22, 2011
Filed under Features

The first time Suzanna Sargsyan saw GCC students campaigning for student government, she knew she wanted to be a part of the Associated Students. Sargsyan, or “Suzy” to those who know her, is a 19-year-old business administration major in her second year at Glendale College. This... (more...)

Panthers Hunted to Extinction by Vaqueros

John Ferrara, staff reporter
September 14, 2011
Filed under Sports

The GCC men’s soccer team won its first game of the season at home on Friday, 1-0, against the Chaffey College Panthers. “One to nothing is beautiful,” said coach Joe Agoston following the win. For many of the Vaqueros, this is their first season of college-level soccer. Of the 23 Glendale... (more...)