Stories Written by Tatevik Manucharyan

Town Hall Topics Include GCC Budget Woes

Tatevik Manucharyan, Staff Writer
June 7, 2012
Filed under News

Glendale Community College, along with the rest of the California higher education system, is drowning in the flood of the state budget deficit and the Sales and Income Tax Increase Initiative may be the only lifesaver in sight. At the town hall meeting on May 29, Amir Nour, interim controller,... (more...)

Recent News Briefs From Around the World

Tatevik Manucharyan, El Vaquero Staff Writer
May 23, 2012
Filed under News

The following are highlights of global news from May 13 to May 20. The article is based on the “BBC Global News” podcast. May 13 RUSSIA — Russian aircraft Sukhoi Superjet-100, which was supposed to be a rival to Airbus and Boeing, crashed in Indonesia during a demonstration tour. All... (more...)

Flavio Frontini

Frontini Teaches Language, Laughter

Tatevik Manucharyan, Staff Writer
May 22, 2012
Filed under Features

Back in Bologna, Italy, Flavio Frontini went to college to become a veterinarian. He ended up becoming a professor of Italian language at a different college — in Glendale. “I didn’t finish the university,” said Frontini. “When I discovered that chemistry was not my friend,... (more...)

Opinion: Facebook Hinders Real-World Networking

May 8, 2012
Filed under Editorial, Opinion

“To make the world more open and connected” is Facebook’s mission, as stated on its web page. Indeed, it has succeeded in making connection an easy and effortless task, and in the process, has reduced friendship to a wall post and a “like” button. But strong, meaningful connections... (more...)

CSU Students Are Starving For Education

May 8, 2012
Filed under News

At least 13 students from six CSU campuses — Dominguez Hills, Fullerton, Long Beach, Sacramento, San Bernardino and Northridge — have gone on a hunger strike on May 2. The strike came in response to the CSU spring admission freezes, tuition fee hikes, faculty and staff layoffs and the recent... (more...)

How to Survive the Budget Cuts: A Guide for Transfer Students

April 25, 2012
Filed under News

The California higher education system is gradually turning into an obstacle course. After students jump over the hurdle of tuition hikes, they must find their way through the maze of CSU and UC admission make their way through swampy grounds of increasingly scarce classes, swim through the... (more...)

Academic Decathlon Locks Vaqueros in Deadly Combat

April 25, 2012
Filed under News

Teams of five students will compete, showcasing their skills and knowledge in math, history, English, sciences and social sciences, in the sixth annual ASGCC Academic Decathlon on May 11. The winning team will be awarded a scholarship prize, the amount of which is yet to be determined. Students... (more...)

Professor Lectures on Dangers of Climate Change

April 4, 2012
Filed under Features, Online Exclusive

In his lecture, “Three Questions About Climate Change,” GCC Professor Poorna Pal tackled one of the hottest topics of the century – is the planet undergoing global warming, and if so, who is to be blamed and what can be done? The lecture took place at noon on March 27, as part of... (more...)

Grammy Nominee Chairs Visual and Performing Arts Division

April 4, 2012
Filed under Features

He is a musician, a piano teacher, a choir director, and an organist. He is a Grammy nominee and the winner of a national piano competition. His favorite composers are Chopin and Rachmaninoff. His favorite pastime: dirt biking. “He’s very positive, he’s fun, he’s enthusiastic about... (more...)