Stories Written by Jessica Bourse

Republicans: The Message is Misogyny

Jessica Bourse, Editor-in-Chief
April 25, 2012
Filed under Editorial

Let’s play a game of word association. When you see the word “Republican,” what words come to mind? Perhaps fiscally conservative, right-wing, traditional, Ronald Reagan, religious…. What about misogynistic? It’s not the first word that would normally come to mind, but lately... (more...)

College President Announces Resignation

Jessica Bourse, Editor-in-Chief
April 4, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

Glendale College President Dawn Lindsay announced her resignation on Tuesday and has accepted a new position in Maryland. “I have accepted the position at Anne Arundel Community College,” said Lindsay, in a letter to the campus. “In the interim, I will be working with the Board [of Trustees]... (more...)

California Colleges Are Being Left Out in the Cold

Jessica Bourse, Editor-in-Chief
March 1, 2012
Filed under Editorial, Opinion

The weather might say otherwise, but California is leaving its community colleges out in the cold — and it’s beginning to freeze here in Glendale. Chancellor Jack Scott announced last week that an unexpected $149 million cut will be made to California community colleges this year. While... (more...)

The Twitterverse:

Jessica Bourse
June 19, 2009
Filed under Opinion

“What’s Twitter?” If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard this question, I’d be rich. Well, maybe that’s an exaggeration. I’d probably have an iPod – a really, really nice iPod. It seems in the past five years, the world has gone a-twitter.... (more...)

Now In: Student Election Results

Jessica Bourse
May 27, 2009
Filed under Student Government

The Associated Students of Glendale Community College (ASGCC) held campus elections on Wednesday and Thursday for the AS positions in the fall. With 477 votes, Lilya Avagyan was elected president/student trustee. She beat candidate Lauren Shenian by seven votes. Tigranuhi Stepanyan ran unopposed... (more...)

Dawn Lindsay Becomes Interim President/Superintendent

Jessica Bourse
May 27, 2009
Filed under News

The board of trustees announced on May 19 that Dawn Lindsay, current vice president of instruction, will take over as interim superintendent/president of the college on July 1. The announcement came two weeks after the unexpected resignation of current superintendent/president Audre Levy, which... (more...)

School President Resigns

Jessica Bourse
May 13, 2009
Filed under News

A surprise announcement May 4 by Vahe Peroomian, president of the board of trustees, brought an end to the controversial presidency of Audre Levy, who had led the campus for three years following the retirement of John Davitt, who had popularly served the campus for 21 years. “As President... (more...)

State Budget Crisis Undermines Education

Jessica Bourse
April 29, 2009
Filed under Editorial

We are in trouble. Budget cuts, unemployment and recession – it’s been one hell of a year in California. Up until Feb. 20, the state didn’t have a budget and the $42 billion deficit was becoming too heavy for Californians to bear. More than 10,000 state employees had been... (more...)

Student Ahead of Curve on Highway Risk

Jessica Bourse
April 29, 2009
Filed under News

Don’t be fooled by the cookies, Malia Mailes isn’t your average Girl Scout. The 16-year-old sophomore from La Cañada High School, who also attends an Italian class at the college, received a Girl Scout Gold Award for her work in a 46-page Power Point presentation on truck... (more...)

Angeles Crest Crash Kills Two

Jessica Bourse
April 8, 2009
Filed under News

A big rig lost control while traveling down Angeles Crest Highway on Wednesday, killing two people and injuring 12 others as it collided into a busy intersection in La Cañada Flintridge. Marcos Costa, 43, was driving down the highway when his brakes failed, said officials. The big rig... (more...)

Latin Dance Teacher Arrested

Jessica Bourse
April 8, 2009
Filed under News

Alex Da Silva, star salsa dance instructor, was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of raping four former students. Da Silva, better known for his choreography on the FOX hit TV show “So You Think You Can Dance,” was an occasional guest instructor for the dance department. Da Silva... (more...)

Car Erupts in Fire Near Campus

Jessica Bourse
March 25, 2009
Filed under News

A ’94 Honda Accord burst into flames at the intersection of Mountain Street and Verdugo Road on Monday evening, possibly the result of a faulty spark plug wire, according to the Glendale Fire Department. The owner of the vehicle, 20-year-old Robert Ortiz, was not injured. “I just... (more...)

History Teaches Another Lesson

Jessica Bourse
February 25, 2009
Filed under Editorial

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” When Franklin D. Roosevelt said those memorable words during his 1933 inaugural address, the United States was in the pit of depression; with an unemployment rate of 23.6 percent, and more than 10,000 failed banks, the future of the... (more...)

Judy Razze – Administrative Assistant

Jessica Bourse
December 10, 2008
Filed under Featured Retirees

Judy Razze, administrative assistant in student services, could always bring a smile on someone’s face. “I’m afraid I’ll always be remembered for emailing everyone about ‘what’s for lunch – and what’s the soup today,’” said Razze,... (more...)

Larry Serot – Administrative Services

Jessica Bourse
December 10, 2008
Filed under Featured Retirees

After 16 years of service to Glendale Community College, Larry Serot, executive vice president of administrative services, will be retiring at the end of the fall semester. Serot also serves as vice chairperson of the Joint Powers Authority (JPA), a special committee formed by the community... (more...)

Debbie Wootton – Continuing Education

Jessica Bourse
December 10, 2008
Filed under Featured Retirees

After 21 years of dedicated service to Glendale Community College, Deborah Wootton, administrator in continuing and community education, is retiring. Wootton’s friendly voice is a reminder that people can, in fact, hear a smile over the phone. “I am retiring because my work legacy... (more...)

State Budget Crisis Affects Education, Campus

Jessica Bourse
December 10, 2008
Filed under Editorial

We are in trouble. Budget cuts, fire and recession – it’s been one hell of a year, countrywide, including here in the Golden State, and the repercussions could be crippling to Glendale Community College. On Dec. 1, the National Bureau of Economic Research officially declared that... (more...)

El Vaquero Endorses Barack Obama for President

Jessica Bourse
October 29, 2008
Filed under Editorial

Dear Readers, In six days, our country will elect a new commander in chief – a man who will represent the American people and what this nation stands for: liberty, justice, and the American way. Over the past eight years, the American way of life became harder to live. More and more families... (more...)

Propositions Affect Rights, Quality of Life

Jessica Bourse
October 29, 2008
Filed under Editorial

In the state of California, Election Day is more than just electing a president; it is also a day where the people get to decide which propositions become laws. With Nov. 4 only six days away, the most important thing for people to do now is inform themselves on the issues. There are 12 propositions... (more...)

Economy Goes From Bad to Worse With No End in Sight

Jessica Bourse
October 15, 2008
Filed under Editorial

The U.S. economy sat on a wall. Then, Wall Street had a great fall. Chairman Ben Bernanke and the president’s men, can they put our economy back together again? Maybe my version doesn’t sound as cute as the original – but there’s nothing cute about watching the world... (more...)

Election Day Is Right Around the Corner

Jessica Bourse
October 1, 2008
Filed under Editorial

Election Day is just around the corner: a day when millions of Americans will cast their ballots as the rest of the world waits and watches. It’s a day where the people get to exercise their right to vote and help decide the future of our country. It’s a day where your opinion matters. It’s... (more...)

Got Stalkers? ‘The Strangers’ Delivers Creepy Fun

Jessica Bourse
June 11, 2008
Filed under Entertainment

It doesn’t matter if your lock your windows and bolt the doors – The Strangers” is a thrilling, on-the-edge-of-your-seat horror flick that will do anything to get in. Reminiscent of slasher-movie classic “Halloween” (1978), and French horror film “Ils (Them)”... (more...)

Choir Spring Concert Entertains with Classics

Jessica Bourse
June 11, 2008
Filed under Entertainment

Hundreds of people hummed with excitement as they filled the college auditorium on May 31 for the much-anticipated choir spring concert, directed by Dr. Jayne Campbell. The groups performing included the Glendale College Choir, Pops Ensemble, and the newly formed Opera Vignettes. The audience... (more...)

Japanese-Americans in WWII Subject of Lecture

Jessica Bourse
May 28, 2008
Filed under News

More than 100 people crowded Kreider Hall on May 15 to listen to guest speakers Jim Makino and Frank Emi, two Japanese Americans who lived in internment camps during World War II. The lecture, co-sponsored by the Associated Students (ASGCC) and the Cultural Diversity Program, was held from... (more...)

Community Orchestra Brings Down the House

Jessica Bourse
May 28, 2008
Filed under Entertainment

The auditorium buzzed with excitement as hundreds of people, young and old, swarmed the aisles, anticipating the glorious music their ears were yearning to hear. On stage, music stands and chairs sat unattended, longing for the moment that the sounds of feet could be heard, as the musicians... (more...)

Concealed Weapons on Campus Would Endanger Everyone

Jessica Bourse
May 14, 2008
Filed under Opinion

It has been a little over a year since the Virginia Tech Massacre, in which gunman Seung-Hui Cho, 23, shot and killed 32 people in cold blood before committing suicide. Since then, more than 30,000 students, teachers and parents have joined together to create Students for Concealed Carry on... (more...)

Voces del Mañana Holds Mock Graduation Ceremony

Jessica Bourse
May 14, 2008
Filed under News

Crowds of students gathered under the hot sun, anticipating the next two hours – some speaking among themselves, while others stood silent, waiting patiently for the words that may possibly change their futures. The Speaker of California’s State Assembly, Democrat Fabian Nunez,... (more...)

‘This is Not a Tree’ Stand-Out Theater Event

Jessica Bourse
April 30, 2008
Filed under Entertainment

Before entering the studio theater, all that can be heard is an ensemble of birds whispering a woodland symphony. As you finally enter, leaves fall on your head and you find yourself in forest of television sets and wires. The theater arts department presented an original and experimental multi-media... (more...)

Harold Mack: Student with Cerebral Palsy Tells of Challenge

Jessica Bourse
April 30, 2008
Filed under Features

On a beautiful sunny day, in November 2007, Ralpha Harold Mack decided to go to the bookstore on his own. “I went to Barnes & Noble to see if they had a book called ‘The Client,’” said the 37-year-old computer science major, “I couldn’t find it, so I... (more...)

Club Debate: Conservatives versus Environmentalists

Jessica Bourse
April 30, 2008
Filed under Features

Students enthusiastically tapped their pens on tables, agreeing with the statements spoken before them. The speakers, having taken opposing positions, were now turning up the heat on environmental issues. The debate between the Conservative Club and Project: Earth Tomorrow was held April 10... (more...)

Too Hot to Handle: Chili Cook-Off Sizzles

Jessica Bourse
April 9, 2008
Filed under Features

Seven high school teams armed with aprons, school spirit and vats of simmering chili, were well-equipped for the battle that lay ahead. As they prepared their booths, they anticipated the spicy taste of victory and the pride in bringing their school the grand prize, the Golden Ladle. Last Friday,... (more...)

How Green Is The Campus?

Jessica Bourse
March 26, 2008
Filed under News

In recent years, the general concern to take care of the environment has risen. More people are informing themselves on issues, such as pollution, and are asking what they can do to help. Here at GCC, students are wondering: what is the campus doing to help the environment? Dan Padilla, manager... (more...)

Basic Restroom Etiquette Should be Mandatory

Jessica Bourse
March 26, 2008
Filed under Opinion

There is something dirty taking place in our bathrooms – and no, I am not referring to the obvious. What started off as a simple observation has now turned into a repulsive fact: People are not washing their hands after using the restroom. Disgusting, right? We are all aware of how important... (more...)

Theater Department Revisits ‘Fiddler on the Roof’

Jessica Bourse
March 12, 2008
Filed under Entertainment

As the house lights dim, the silhouette of a violinist is made visible- standing alone among the rooftops, accompanied only by a violin. On Thursday, the GCC Theatre Arts, Dance, and Music departments debuted the classic musical, “Fiddler on the Roof.” Brilliantly directed by Jeanette... (more...)

Casa Ortega Closed for Spring Semester

Jessica Bourse
March 12, 2008
Filed under Features

It’s noon, and as the lunch lines in the cafeteria begin to wind around the tables, and the noise level rises to deafening decibels, there remains a small area untouched. It’s a little pocket of space, where on an empty countertop sits a lonely sign that reads, “CASA ORTEGA.... (more...)