Stories Written by Marlon Miranda

SWAP MEET VENDOR: Gary Hart sells calendars and collectible toys at the May 19 swap meet in the GCC parking lot C.

Swap Meet Features Unexpected Finds

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Sports Editor
May 28, 2013
Filed under Features, Top Stories

Rarities, oddities and every day bargains can be found once a month at the GCC Swap Meet. With 175 vendors there is a variety of items for sale, from football jerseys to a table made from an elephant foot movie prop. Glendale has been holding a swap meet since 1994. The GCC parking lot turns... (more...)

Professional Players Need Profound Privacy

Marlon Miranda, Staff Writer
May 15, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Jason Collins became the Lebron James of gay rights last month when he became the first active NBA player to announce he is gay. His announcement turned the NBA universe upside down. Most current and former players supported him and praised his courage. Tim Hardaway told Collins by phone that... (more...)

batmanvssuperman

Character-Driven Gods Appeal to DC

Marlon Miranda, Staff Writer
May 2, 2013
Filed under Features

Since the release of 2011’s “Batman: Arkham City,” fans have been clamoring for another videogame that gives their favorite characters justice. “Injustice: Gods Among Us” is a masterful fighting game that features a massive cast of DC Comic legends. Gamers will be addicted by the... (more...)

GCC Brings New Focus to Online Classes

Marlon Miranda, Staff Writer
March 19, 2013
Filed under Collegiate News>>Technology

Online courses have blown into the academic consciousness as higher education is leaning more on technology. GCC is preparing to take the steps needed to become a more cyber efficient campus. Fabiola Torres started her career with Glendale as an ethnic studies instructor, but now, as the distant... (more...)

Basketball Coach Approaches Major Milestone

March 6, 2013
Filed under Sports

Greatness is measured by longevity and success. After 34 years and now approaching his 600th victory, GCC basketball coach Brian Beauchemin has lived up to that definition. There is only one other active coach in California with more wins than Beauchemin. He is currently second overall in longevity... (more...)

westside

Friday Flix Offers Free Movies, Flex Credit

March 6, 2013
Filed under Arts and Entertainment

Movies can be watched for entertainment or they can be watched for academic merit. John Michael Petros, an associate professor of media arts, started Friday Flix three years ago to help students and faculty find a medium between the two. Every other Friday, Petros shows classic movies on a... (more...)

baseball

Vaqs Baseball Gets Into Winning Groove

March 6, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The weather might have been cold Friday night, but the Vaqueros were on fire. The Compton College Tartars never recovered from the early game offensive onslaught by GCC. Vaquero Michael Robinson made his first start of the season, coming off an arm injury, and pitched six innings and struck-out... (more...)

baseballweb

Weekend Series Starts in Drama, Ends in Sweep

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Staff Writer
May 8, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Nothing says baseball like a hot humid day in May and the only thing hotter than the weather was the Vaquero baseball team. The Glendale Vaqueros swept the San Diego Mesa Olympians 2-0 in their playoff series on Saturday and Sunday. Head Coach Chris Cicuto was ecstatic with the team’s pitching... (more...)

Baseball Team Hunts Cougars at Home

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

Corey Popham pitched a scoreless game on five hits as the Vaqueros defeated College of Canyons 1-0 at Stengel Field Thursday. Glendale was still feeling the lingering effects of losing a one- run, 14-inning ball game against LA Valley College in their prior game. Head Coach Chris Cicuto was... (more...)

Karen Santiago Dances Her Troubles Away

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Staff Writer
April 4, 2012
Filed under Features

Broken dreams are not the end of the journey but just the beginning. Music begins to play as the dancer preps her steps before the intro. In the middle of her routine she feels a snap in her left knee and falls to the floor. A torn ligament stopped an American Ballet Theatre production but... (more...)

Lady Vaqueros Struggle Against Monarchs

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Staff Writer
March 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Flash Player and a browser with Javascript support are needed.. var mo22_2 = { params : { wmode : "transparent", allowfullscreen : "true"}, flashvars : { showLogo : "false", showRegistration : "false", dataFile : "http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elvaq.com%2Findex.php%3Fcallback%3Dmonoslideshow%26gid%3D22"}, attr... (more...)

The Vaqueros Grind Out a Victory

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Staff Writer
March 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Flash Player and a browser with Javascript support are needed.. var mo23_4 = { params : { wmode : "transparent", allowfullscreen : "true"}, flashvars : { showLogo : "false", showRegistration : "false", dataFile : "http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elvaq.com%2Findex.php%3Fcallback%3Dmonoslideshow%26gid%3D23"}, attr... (more...)

Breaking Dawn: A Set Up to a Grand Finale

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 22, 2011
Filed under Online Exclusive

The greatest love story ever sold, viewers finally get to see the love triangle unfold. “Breaking Dawn” will make your heart melt and make 115 minutes feel like seconds, leaving the audience craving more.   Director Bill Condon has done a marvelous job capturing the raw emotion... (more...)

Come On, Where’s The School Spirit?

November 15, 2011
Filed under Opinion, Sports

Fans don’t win games the players do. But who do the players lean on in the closing moments in the decisive seconds of a game? Who do they depend on for motivation during a tough stretch? It isn’t called home field advantage for nothing. Imagine the disappointment of the home team as they... (more...)

fooballweb

Vaq Offense Comes Alive As Defense Dies

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Staff Writer
November 15, 2011
Filed under Uncategorized

Fresh off their first victory of the season, the Vaqueros came into Saturday’s game against Santa Monica College hoping for their first home victory of the season. But in the final minute of the game a disappointed squad gave up the game-winning touchdown and lost to SMC 47-41. The Vaqs hurt... (more...)

Team Stymied by Injury of Star Quarterback

October 27, 2011
Filed under Sports

The Vaqueros remained winless as they fell 35-13 to West Los Angeles College on Saturday at Glendale. Pre-game injuries forced GCC to convert Anthony Carter from wideout to quarterback. “I would say it was a fun experience but it is never fun to lose,” said Carter. Carter completed nine... (more...)

Quarterback Kevin Hunter Carries On Family Tradition

Marlon Miranda, El Vaquero Staff Writer
October 27, 2011
Filed under Sports

Having both a father and an uncle who were talented quarterbacks could be too much pressure for the average player, but for Kevin Hunter, it made him stronger and motivated him to make his own mark. “By the second grade, I knew I wanted to play as a quarterback. Having my dad and uncle around... (more...)

Vaqueros Lose Another Quarterback, Remain Win-less

Marlon Miranda, staff reporter
October 11, 2011
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

After losing their two quarterbacks to injuries, the Vaqueros couldn’t muster enough fire power and fell to Pierce College 28-20 on Saturday in Glendale. GCC remains winless, with starter Kevin Hunter suffering a 2-inch laceration in his kidney against Hancock, and Darren Orsbern suffering... (more...)

A Take of Two Halves: Football Starts Strong, Finishes Game Weak

September 29, 2011
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Vaqueros dominated the Allan Hancock Bulldogs in the first half at home Saturday, but a key injury to quarterback Kevin Hunter derailed their morale and chances against the Bulldogs, leading them to a 41-17 defeat. In the first half, GCC ran the ball effectively. Joseph Wiggan and Timothy... (more...)

Football off to Slow Start This Season

Marlon Miranda, staff reporter
September 14, 2011
Filed under Sports

Defense changes while results stay the same. After getting dismantled by the PCC Lancers 49-28 in their season opener, Los Vaqueros traveled to Costa Mesa on Saturday to face the Golden West College Rustlers. Costly turnovers and a stagnant offense led to a 34-7 defeat. GCC had three fumbles,... (more...)

iPad 2: If You Can Get it, Is It Worth It?

Marlon Miranda
March 30, 2011
Filed under Science & Technology

The demand outweighs the supply Apple is notorious for releasing new products every year. like clockwork on March of every year there is a new iPhone or iTouch and now iPad. Apple started the tablet race but now is behind its competitors. Apple released the iPad on March 14 and sold out in... (more...)

Skyrocketing Gas Prices Take Toll on Students

Marlon Miranda
March 30, 2011
Filed under Opinion

Gas prices have skyrocketed in recent weeks, forcing students to reconsider their spending habits and spring break plans. Students will feel a heavier burden during every day activities like going to work and school, thinking twice before driving to their local mall or fast food restaurants. Local... (more...)

Japan Disaster Provides a Humbling Example

Marlon Miranda
March 30, 2011
Filed under Opinion

Compassion needs to be redefined, when most are struggling to grasp trivial things. Real disasters are occurring, tragic events that will change the lives of the people in Japan for centuries to come. Live life for today, tomorrow is never guaranteed. Imagine walking down the street in the... (more...)

‘Killzone 3′ Can’t Compete with ‘Call of Duty’

Marlon Miranda
March 16, 2011
Filed under Entertainment

Guerrilla Games started as Lost Boys games, they had middle school hits like “SpongeBob SquarePants,” “Tiny Toon Adventures” and the sixth grade classic “Rhino Rumble.” When they moved to a more teen demographic, they failed to abandon their elementary beginnings.... (more...)

Non-Enforcement Renders Policy Useless

Marlon Miranda
March 2, 2011
Filed under Opinion

The smoking policy for GCC was revised three times since it’s adoption in 1988 but nothing has changed; smokers are running rampant and no one is enforcing the policy 23 years later. According to the Glendale Community College District Smoking Policy, smoking is not permitted in any building... (more...)

Men’s and Women’s Basketball End Season

Marlon Miranda
March 2, 2011
Filed under Sports

The men’s basketball team dominated the Bakersfield Renegades and cruised to a 76-57 with at home on Saturday while the Lady Vaqueros lost 74-40 to the Renegades in the second game of the night at Verdugo Gym. Women’s: The Lady Vaqueros had a tough time stopping the Renegades. They... (more...)